Giving old Mac to a friend

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5" iMac. Mavericks . 1TB HD. 8GB Memory. 2.9GHz Intel Core i5, Ipad Air 64GB , iPhone 4s
I am planning to buy a new Mac when they are released. I have a 24" iMac bought in 2008 that's hard drive died last year. It was replaced with a new one with LION os. I have since upgraded to Mountain Lion. I plan to give this iMac to a relative. My question is about my password and login. Can that be changed to his or must it stay with mine ? Will he have a problem 'cos it's in my name ? Also, will he have trouble with iTunes ? Can he use his iTunes account on this computer ? Sorry if the question sounds weird, but I am not very computer literate, except for the few things I use a computer for !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you got a time machine back-up of your current mac for when the new one arrives?

Firstly you need to de-authorize your account from the iTunes Store menu

Then Just create a new admin account for your friend and remember to give them your password

When the new Mac comes you can restore your settings using your time machine backup. Once you are happy you can then delete your old User from the Imac and give it to your friends, he or she will have their new admin account instead of yours

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5" iMac. Mavericks . 1TB HD. 8GB Memory. 2.9GHz Intel Core i5, Ipad Air 64GB , iPhone 4s
Sounds very easy ! I was worried for nothing. Thank you so much for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.