Keyboard/stand/case for new iPad 4

Reaction score
I was about to push the "buy" button on the new iPad 4 in the Apple online store but got hung up in the "accessory" aisle!

This is my very first iPad.
I have a Macbook Pro and iPhone.

Down the line I think I will want to get a wireless keyboard and might consider a
keyboard/stand/case for the iPad but I see the new model is .37 inch deep vs older
models are .34 and am wondering if this will cause a problem with older cases?

Should I just buy the iPad for now and wait and see how the cases work?
Thanks for any advice. I am anxious to get this new baby in my hands!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would wait. I waited several months before I purchased a blue tooth keyboard for my iPad 3 (which also included a stand). I had already bought a case.

Just a thought here.... When I'm on the road, I use the built in on screen keyboard but when at home in the office I use the BT keyboard. To me, lugging around a keyboard and stand along with the iPad 3 is just not convenient.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you chscag. Good point. I plan to use keyboard at home. And do look forward to traveling with the ipad. For traveling should I go ahead and buy either the smart cover ($39) or the smart case ($49) ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I personally like the Apple "Smart Case" because it not only protects the front of the iPad but the back as well. However, I'm not sure it fits the iPad 4. If you have an Apple store nearby you might want to go in when the iPad 4 is available and ask about the cases they stock.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't live near an Apple Store which is why I am buying online. I would hope that if I buy the case from the online Apple store it would fit the iPad4 I am buying at the same time. I think I will just go with the "smart case" for now. Appreciate the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
I was about the buy the Smart Case for my iPad2, when I read a review saying it's hard on your hands. Apparently the edges of the back cover extend past the iPad, and those edges are sharp. Read all the product reviews before you decide on a case. I use a Belkin cover for the back, but I've already had 2 of them spontaneously crack at the corners within 6 months. I put up with it b/c it's lightweight and I'm really careful, but I'd like to see Apple come up with a better Smart Case.

OP
A
Reaction score
I did buy the Apple smart case with my iPad4 and it fits fine. I am about to purchase a keyboard/stand and I think I am leaning toward the Kensington Keyfolio Pro 2 - they were $99 at BestBuy and $64.99 on Amazon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.