Is this a logic board problem? New dock connector unit makes microphone not work.

Reaction score
So i have some water damage on my original dock connector. That means the volume rocker has not worked and no sound outputs on my phone unless I plug it into its charger and then remove it. If I sleep the phone, the sound disappears again.

So I figured I needed to replace the dock connector. Bought a unit for the 4S, had someone install it, and it solved the problem. Volume worked normally, battery wasn't draining anymore thinking it was docked in, but the microphone failed. I can't make phone calls because no one can hear me.

The guy tried an OEM 4S dock connector today, still same problem. He said it may be a motherboard issue. What do you guys think the problem is? When he put my original damaged dock connector back, the mic works again, but the volume/docking problem returns.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like possible water damage to the logic board - probably seeped through from the dock connector. Take it to Apple and swap it out for a refurbished iPhone 4S which will probably cost you some $$. Make sure you get an estimate first. Apple does not repair iPhones, they swap them out for a refurbished one at your cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.