Moving files from Imac to Imac Help needed

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a G5 Imac and have just ordered myself a new Mactel Imac. Now how do i move the files from Imac to Imac......i remember seeing a way of doing it but i honestly cannot remember and could now do with some help/suggestions....will i need a firewire400 cable to link the machines how does this work...

Please someone Help- Matt x

L

lil

You will indeed need a Firewire cable, standard 6pin to 6pin type.

I have never had to use this but you can then go to /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant et voila :flower:

I will get back to your PM hon, just I am so busy this week packing up stuff as I moving this weekend, also finding jobs and doing some volunteer work at my old work place (the after school club with the kids hehe) -- just so you know I have not forgotten, but in a nutshell, I think it's a great idea!

Now to go and find a new desk... :flower:

Vicky

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey no worries Vicky, I appreciate you are busy. I am a little gutted with the new Imac situation but ratehr than moan on I thought I would whack my Imac on Ebay and have ordered a new one with Intel inside......to be honest I have an alterior motive in so much as I play when no one is watching Rollercoaster tycoon 3 and on my mac its a little slow so I was thinking the intel version will hopefully get it firing on all cylinders....lol. I know yes i am a sad case but there you go. As for our little project it is all there ready and waiting for us to start setting up so when you are free that would be cool with me. I am off work at the moment with a touch of flu but think i will be going back tomorrow; then i go away to Centre Parcs in Cumbria for 10 days so January is pretty chocked full already.

I'll go seek out a firewire cable now!. Speak soon Matt x

L

lil

Well do bear in mind that the intel processor is going to be emulating a PowerPC and it won't be as fast as running it natively... And that will be the case for some time to come.

If the Core Duo manages to emulate as fast as a G5 I'll eat my hat with lashings of fish paste, marmite and kiwi juice :flower: *barfs at the thought*

Sounds good re: project; I'll catch up with you on that once everything has settled.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.