Home sharing not working (or Bonjour)

Reaction score
I have an iMac (OSX 10.7.5) a Macbook air (OSX 10.7.4) a iphone 3GS (iOS 6.0) and a ipad 1st gen (iOS 6.0), they all connect wirelessly to a time capsule with the latest firmware - except the iMac that has an ethernet cable). All iTunes accounts are synced with the same Apple ID and devices are authorised.

Here the issues I'm having:
- The iMac and Mac Air can both connect to the time capsule but cannot see each other on the network.
- the remote app on the iphone can only connect with the Mac air and the ipad can only connect with the iMac. I've made sure that Home sharing is on for all devices but even when connected via USB the iphone does not see the iMac.
- With my last laptop I used to be able to use SynergyKM to share the mouse, but it doesn't work anymore.

I'm guessing that it is something to do with the network setup and I have tried connecting the iMac wirelessly as well. I'm fast running out of things to try. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have an iMac (OSX 10.7.5) a Macbook air (OSX 10.7.4) a iphone 3GS (iOS 6.0) and a ipad 1st gen (iOS 6.0), they all connect wirelessly to a time capsule with the latest firmware - except the iMac that has an ethernet cable). All iTunes accounts are synced with the same Apple ID and devices are authorised.

The 1st gen iPad cannot run iOS 6. You can't install it even if you wanted to. You either have iOS 5 on it, or you have an iPad 2 or later. But that shouldn't be an issue. Any reason why you haven't fully updated the MBA to 10.7.5 yet?

Here the issues I'm having:
- The iMac and Mac Air can both connect to the time capsule but cannot see each other on the network.
- the remote app on the iphone can only connect with the Mac air and the ipad can only connect with the iMac. I've made sure that Home sharing is on for all devices but even when connected via USB the iphone does not see the iMac.

What are the firewall options set at for the iMac and MacBook Air? Open System Preferences, then Security & Privacy to check the firewall.

In iTunes, under Preferences, then Sharing, what options are set on each Mac?

- With my last laptop I used to be able to use SynergyKM to share the mouse, but it doesn't work anymore.

SourceForge.net: SynergyKM: Lion 10.7 Support?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks lifeisa*****, here are my answers:

"The 1st gen iPad cannot run iOS 6. "
- Yeah it's 5.1.1 which is the latest version

"Any reason why you haven't fully updated the MBA to 10.7.5 yet?"
- Did the upgrade last night but it didn't make a difference.

"What are the firewall options set at for the iMac and MacBook Air? Open System Preferences, then Security & Privacy to check the firewall."
- On both machines the firewall is on but I have "allow incoming connections for: Files, Printers, Remote events, Remote Management, Screens, web, Dropbox, iTunes and SynergyKM

"In iTunes, under Preferences, then Sharing, what options are set on each Mac?"
- On both machines I have 'share this entire library' enabled as well as updating play counts. (No password is required.)

- I have tried trouble shooting Synergy, but with all the settings open the computers just don't find each other. They don't come up in a search...

OP
R
Reaction score
By the way, I am not able to ping the either of the computers via terminal.
In both of the network settings I have IPv4 using DHCP and IPv6 set to automatic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok. Try turning the firewalls off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.