Mac Pro - went quiet today

Reaction score
Mac Pro running Mountain Lion. Audio working just fine this morning, didn't change or touch anything, and this afternoon it's quiet as a mouse. No sounds at all. Have restarted, have checked all connections, have checked output in system "sounds" preferences.... bupkis. No sound.

Any clues?? The ever-helpful Apple user forum has been utterly silent on my question posted there. Surely I'm not the only one this has ever happened to? All of my Google searches come up with fixes for Macbook Pro's not desktop Mac Pros.

Tks!

B

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the audio chipset is integrated to the logic board in your Mac Pro, suggest running the Apple Hardware Test to see if picks something up about the audio not working. AHT LINK

OP
J
Reaction score
Several issues:

1. When I restart I can hear the startup chime on the internal speaker (this has always been *barely* audible on this machine, but it's there). That tells me that the problem doesn't reside on my mother board. HOWEVER, if I play something in iTunes at full volume, regardless of whether my sound control panel is set to "Internal Speakers" or "Line Out", I can't hear anything at all. This perplexes me.

2. I only have one disk that came with the machine (I believe that's the only disk I got with it). It's labeled "Mac OS X Install DVD". It is a bootable disk, but holding down the "D" or the "C" keys when starting up from it only gets me to the install menu, and there's nothing about Hardware Test in the "Disk Utilities" menu it contains.

3. If I remove the OS X DVD and try starting up while holding down the "D" key, absolutely nothing happens except a normal startup.

Ideas??

Tks

B

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should have received two disks with the machine if it came preinstalled with Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard. Did you buy the machine new or used? And which version of OS X are you running?

OP
J
Reaction score
If I ever did have two disks, I don't any longer. I've moved house three times since I bought the Mac Pro, and if the disk isn't in the same place as the other one, then it's long gone.

So, I still have a silent Mac Pro, no 2nd install disk, and no way to fix it.

Anybody have any other ideas? I've Googled and I can't seem to find a source for the disk. I'm stuck..

Tks

B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No the AHT was the go.

Done an SMC reset?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.