Trojans found on VMware fusion - virtual operating Windows system for MAC

Reaction score
I have an IMac computer - OSX - 10.75. I am a previous PC user and my family and I like the Mac very much. However, I have work applications which require use of Windows 7 appliciations. I am using VMware fusion version 4.1.3 to run Windows 7 as a virtual operating system. I was running MacAfee software on the Windows side and Avast software on the MAC side. The Avast software has detected the following trojans which appear to be on the Windows side in the VM Ware fusion software:

"/Users/john/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/564d9247-5163-33d4-ae42-d1909d96747d.vmem"
WIN 32 small HUF trojan

"/Users/john/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7-s004.vmdk"
Win 32 patched ** trojan

"/Users/john/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7-s006.vmdk"
Win 32 fake alert HY trojan

"/Users/john/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7-s012.vmdk"
Win 32 Fake AV ANO trojan

"/Users/john/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7-s018.vmdk"
Win 32 small HUF trojan

It is difficult to remove these trojans using the Avast software. It does not seem to work and it may entail remove the entire VMware fusion software.

The Macafee software has not detected these trojans.

My files are on a shared drive between the Windows and MAC sides. I notice that the Mac computer has been recently freezing at times.

What is the best type of antivirus software for me to use on both the Mac and Windows side?

Please advise as to possible solutions. Thank you very much for your assistance.

John Furman
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My advice remove the AV software from both and install Microsoft Security Essentials on the Windows VM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Second that advice. There are no Mac OS X viruses, but if you are concerned about that use ClamXAV and MS Security Essentials in windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.