ATV Home Sharing Not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
Since the last time I used my Apple TV2, for some reason I can't access the movies on my iMac. Home Sharing is on in both my ATV and iTunes and both have the latest updates.

My iMac is running the latest version of Mountain Lion as well and I am wireless through my Airport Extreme router.

I have tried turning off Home Sharing on both the ATV and iTunes and then reconnected but no luck. Both say Home Sharing is on and both are on the proper account but I still can not access anything from my Mac as I used to.

I have searched high and low for a solution to a problem many people seem to be having and nothing I've tried has resolved this issue. You would think using nothing but Apple products there would be no issues but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

The Airport Extreme is working well and I have no firewall turned on on my iMac.

Any thoughts on what I could try next?

If you need any other information I'd be happy to try and provide it.

Thanks

Reaction score
This won't help you at all, but I sympathise with your problem. I have a weird issue with airplay for music in iTunes where it won't work unless I stream a video from my iTunes library first. And that's where we may have the same issue. I can't see my movies in iTunes on my ATV2. But if I use the remote app on my iPhone to control the streaming I see the movies on the iPhone remote app. The movies are stored on my iMac.
I have a feeling someone at Apple has been tinkering with all this stuff, and maybe , just maybe, they are using us as their testers.

Just my observations.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
Well, other than the regular updates Apple tells me to do, I've done nothing else to upset the Apple Cart so to speak.

No updates to my Airport Extreme have taken place and my WiFi connections are all working. The Apple TV is working with the WiFi as well.

I can watch the trailers and do other online actions on the ATV. It's only the Home Sharing that isn't working properly and of course that's what I use 99% of the time.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to update, I did manage to get my Apple TV to recognize my iTunes and Home Sharing did work after I unplugged the ATV for about a minute and then plugged it back it. It went though it's routine and then when I went to Computer it asked me if I wanted to use my account for Home Sharing and everything worked as it should. Success!

Now something new has come up. I put my ATV to Sleep and went to my iMac to close iTunes and when I tried to do this I got this message...

"One or more Apple*TVs are connected to your iTunes library. Are you sure you want to quit?"

I've never seen this message ever before in all my years of using the ATV or iTunes.

Does anyone know what this means? I'm going to have to shutdown my Mac and wonder if my Apple TV will end up with the same problem again when I go to use it.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It can't share what it can't see it is just a warning that if you shut it down what ever content you were using will quit.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thanks.

Funny that I have shutdown iTunes several times since then after using the ATV and never had that message again. Strange indeed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.