trouble playing movie files

E

eatinwokout

Hey,

Yes I do admit I am a newbie for macs. But for the record, I do NOT regret switching from my PC. But that does not come without a little trouble. Im hoping someone out there can help me out. I currently have an ibook, and it does have the usual quicktime installed as well as realone player and windows media player. I recently downloaded some movies from a friend but now have a hard time playing them. I often see a window pop up saying that the file is not recognized. An example of a file is below:

[tmd]love.actually(sws).ts.(dvd-rip).wmv

For that what additional software or player do i need to download. Any help would be appreciated.

derek

OP
G

goodolebwinches

There is a free AVI player out there called VLC Player. VLC plays some, but not all AVIs. You probably need the codecs from DIVX PRO. If you're downloading movies.....then you should have no trouble finding a hacked DIVX PRO PLAYER.

OP
E

eatinwokout

goodolebwinches said:
There is a free AVI player out there called VLC Player. VLC plays some, but not all AVIs. You probably need the codecs from DIVX PRO. If you're downloading movies.....then you should have no trouble finding a hacked DIVX PRO PLAYER.

well should i be having problems if the file has the extension .avi, .wma, .mpeg, .mpg. if i have quicktime, windows media player, and real? do the letters within the file name mean anything? .ts, tmd, etc?

OP
S

StarManta

ERm.... the file is a WMV. That means it needs *shudder* Windows Media Player (available somewhere on microsoft's web site). As much as WMP for mac sucks, you're pretty much stuck with it as the format is quite proprietary.
However, for all other files, MPlayer is easily the best option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.