Trouble with network connection and updates

Reaction score
I am in the process of downloading all of the necessary updates for my computer and certain programs like MS office and I am having a hard time getting them to finish before they are interrupted with an alert saying that it lost the internet connection. The thing is, my internet connection is fine because my iphone still has a connection. Right now I am in the terrible cycle of starting, and restarting and restarting these update downloads trying to see if I can get them to finish before a problem. I have heard of some of these problems but don't know of a way to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Tell us a bit about how you're connecting to the Internet. Cable/DSL/Fiber/Cellular (3G/4G)... and are you using wireless or wired?

Have you tried doing the same with a hard-wired (i.e. Ethernet) connection?

OP
T
Reaction score
youre right, how dumb of me to think that you would be able to help without knowing how I am connected... anyways I am wireless, cable internet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries. As to the second question, have you tried doing the updates with a wired connection (I.e. plug the network cable from the modem straight into your Mac)?

This will eliminate wireless as a potential source of disruption/latency.

OP
T
Reaction score
unfortunately the i didnt buy a lightning to ethernet adapter when i bought this thing.... since it doesnt have a ethernet connection of its own... I will have to go pick one up I guess unless I find another solution to this problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, OK. Before you do that, make sure you are very close to the wireless router and that there are no other potential sources of interference around (microwave ovens, cordless phone bases, baby monitors, etc).

If that doesn't work, perhaps you could take it somewhere that has free public WiFi and see if you can replicate it there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.