NAS file protocol requirment from virtualized Windows??

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I'm currently sharing network-attached storage (NAS) between a PC and a MBP. Because of the PC, I'm using both Windows file protocol (CIFS) and Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) . For reasons way too complex to describe here, the CIFS protocol is causing issues with my OS X machine with a critical program.

For other reasons, I'm considering replacing the PC with another OS X machine (either Mac Mini or iMac) and continue running windows via VMware Fusion on the new machine (both the wife [who hates change] and Quicken require I keep Windows around).

Here's my question...Does a virtual instance of Windows require CIFS to access the NAS or does it pass through to the OS X operating system and use AFP, thus allowing me to shut off the CIFS protocol? Or is there a way to access an AFP drive from Windows?

Thanks

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Windows running natively through boot camp or in a VM is still Windows. So it will need CIFS to access the NAS. The VM will share the network connection with the host but that's all.

So you don't really have a way around needing CIFS in this case..

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.