RAM upgrade in iMac g5

L

laxkyle17

Hey guys,

I'm new here, so please spare me if i'm doing something wrong. I've got a question regarding a RAM upgrade with my 20" iMac g5. It's not the newest one that has the iSight camera up top, but rather the version just before that.

I'm looking to add 1 gb of ram. The specs are as follows, listed by apple-

1. iMac G5 computers work with memory modules (DIMMs) that meet all of these
criteria: PC3200, 2.5V, unbuffered, 8-byte, nonparity, 184-pin, 400Mhz DDR SDRAM.
2. There are two RAM slots. The maximum amount of RAM you can install is 2 GB. You
can use RAM module sizes of 256 MB, 512 MB and 1 GB, in either slot.
3. DIMMs with any of the following features are not supported in the iMac G5 computer:
registers or buffers, PLLs, ECC, parity, or EDO RAM.

I'm looking at two models, which vary in price by about $70 (hmm...)

From Crucial-
http://www.crucial.com/store/MParts...&WSMD=iMac+(G5-2.0GHz,+20-inch)&WSPN=CT440125

From NewEgg-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...36&ATT=20-231-036&CMP=OTC-dealram#DetailSpecs

The price difference seems too good to be true, even though it seems that the specs match up. Will the NewEgg RAM work in my g5?

Thanks,
-Kyle

Reaction score
Have never heard of that brand #2 so can't say other than i would be a bit leary of it. However take look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145505

Corsair is very good ram that works well in the Mac, i have been using it for about a year in my pm 2.0 and also in my iMac G5. Works just fine. Have used Corsair in my last 3 computers including the amd water cooled gamer with no problems, lifetime guarentee.

Reaction score
The G.SKILL memory has only a 3 year warranty (not a good sign).

Neither it nor the Corsair Value Select are guaranteed compatible with Macs, and the iMac G5 is one of the fussiest machines Apple makes. If the SPD values aren't correct, the RAM won't work. Thing is, you have no way of knowing in advance if the manufacturer has met all of the requirements or not.

I recommend that you choose a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work (not a 15% restocking fee if you chose the wrong model RAM)

Thanks
Trevor

OP
H

HattoriHanzo

LAX

I can sell you a 1gb stick for your iMac (Crucial Ram - Lifetime Warranty) for $100 usd (including delivery and Paypal Fees)
I got my iMac G5 iSight and used it for a week with the ram in (functioning perfectly) but the fan was REALY noisy so i sent it back for a full refund - the day they gave me a refund the new InteliMac was released, so being as the ram is different i have to sell the new chip that i got for the G5 iSight one.

I thought i would offer it to you. But either way, don't buy that cheapy ram - you don't want to get a really nice computer and then skimp on the components.

EDIT JUST READ YOU SAID NOT THE ISIGHT MODEL - MY APOLOGIES

Reaction score
take advantage of technology and pay a little extra to get a used intel imac.. g5's are just sluggish, even with maxed out memory. what do i know, im into multi-tasking..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.