Right to sell Macbook Pro after it's been repaired?

Reaction score
Is it ethical to sell a Macbook Pro after having a motherboard repair, It's the 2008 Version with the Nvidia chip, I got it repaired and not really keen on Mac, I want to sell it on, it's all working fine and running the latest version of the OS, but would I be wrong to sell it knowing it's been repaired?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
AS long as you are honest about it, and it sounds like you are

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah well I would intent to tell the buyer that it has had a repair and it runs like a dream, I plan on running it for a couple of weeks as my main computer and put it through it's paces, I don't want to sell it and then two weeks later it goes on the bung, I will also tell them if anything does happen, that I would be more than happy to help them resolve it.

Reaction score
Yeah well I would intent to tell the buyer that it has had a repair and it runs like a dream, I plan on running it for a couple of weeks as my main computer and put it through it's paces, I don't want to sell it and then two weeks later it goes on the bung, I will also tell them if anything does happen, that I would be more than happy to help them resolve it.

So it's perfectly fine to sell.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it ethical to sell a Macbook Pro after having a motherboard repair, It's the 2008 Version with the Nvidia chip, I got it repaired and not really keen on Mac, I want to sell it on, it's all working fine and running the latest version of the OS, but would I be wrong to sell it knowing it's been repaired?

Of course you can sell it. It's just like selling an automobile that had the engine replaced. If it runs like new…then it's certainly ok to sell it!:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
The Logic board ended up with the Nvidia chip problem and wouldn't boot, after my repair, I used the software the technicians use to test it and it passed so I'm guessing the repair was done right.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't see a problem as long as you are honest about the repair. I might suggest providing the new owner with any documentation of the repair should they have issues in the near future.

OP
T
Reaction score
The repair was done myself, I had to Reflow the GPU, Cleaned off all old thermal paste and added some new arctic silver, I used to repair computers for a living, so I feel the job I did is what would have been done had I paid someone to do it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reflowing anything on the Logic board is no easy job. So if you were successful, I would say a job well done! Just tell the prospective buyer what you did. You don't have to go into detail.... just explain that you repaired it.

I used to do all sorts of electronic repairs on the side in addition to my computer repair job with the US Govt, and would repair items for resale. Most buyers will understand if you're honest with them.

OP
T
Reaction score
I couldn't have done it without the internet, My hope was to get it working enough to take it to apple and have them run the Nvidia test, But when I ran the test after the repair it passed all hardware tests, bugger lol

But at least I know they are getting something that on a hardware level is perfect.

With mountain lion on it now and SMC fan control on it, it's a wee timorous beasty :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The repair was done myself, I had to Reflow the GPU, Cleaned off all old thermal paste and added some new arctic silver, I used to repair computers for a living, so I feel the job I did is what would have been done had I paid someone to do it.

This is certainly a different situation than what I was thinking (and replied to) after reading post #1 earlier. I assumed that the motherboard was replaced by Apple…since the statement made in post #1 said…"I got it repaired"…which usually is taken to mean that Apple or an authorized Apple repair place did the work.

When folks do the repairs themselves…they usually say…"I repaired it."…versus "I got it repaired.";)

In any case…as you mentioned…using the computer a couple weeks before selling it is probably a great idea to test the repair stability.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
lol yeah it was fine to say "I got it repaired" but for the sake of selling it and this thread I thought I would point out that I was the one who did the repair, Sadly I was not paid for labor, but I can live with that.

The thing is, I can see why people love these things so much now, they look great, the metal case is lovely, the back lit keyboard is great and all in all the Mac OS is quite nice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol yeah it was fine to say "I got it repaired" but for the sake of selling it and this thread I thought I would point out that I was the one who did the repair, Sadly I was not paid for labor, but I can live with that.

"Reflowing" a motherboard is really not a very exact science…and many times it doesn't work. Replacing non-working parts with known working parts is much more exact and dependable.

Hopefully this repair is stable…and the computer continues to work fine a couple weeks from now (after a sufficient amount of "power-on" time to test it throughly).:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't be happy selling it until I have at least gave it a proper testing, Will keep you updated.

Reaction score
If it works properly, the fact that it was repaired and who did the repair is irrelevant. All that matters is its present condition, whether it is operating normally, and that any CURRENT issues with it be disclosed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.