mountain lion Sluggish on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz/12GB RAM/1GB 6970
I've had this iMac for 10 months now and over time it has become stupidly sluggish. Whenever I turn it on, it seems like it's always reading things off the HDD. In fact all I hear are HDD noises. I really can't put my finger on why it's doing this. The HDD is not full either, I have 400GB of 1TB free.

Symptoms I have are:
- HDD always making noises (like any would do when reading/writing)
- At extreme instances the application would lock up for a second then go back to normal.
- Sometimes There is a very big delay between keyboard presses and what appears on screen.
- Safari takes ages to open a new tab

It seems that something is doing a lot of i/o on the HDD as shown in the two screenshots below:
Photo Album - Imgur

Anything I could do to rectify this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might wish to check with Apple care about your hard drive. Apple is recalling certain Seagate 1 TB drives that came installed in the iMac 21.5" and 27" models. (Mid 2011 models) Give them a call and find out if your machine qualifies for a free hard drive swap out.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did that via the online serial checker they have on the apple site and it says mine is not eligible for the recall. I've got windows installed via bootcamp and that isn't as sluggish as OSX is

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, just making sure you weren't running with a "sick" Seagate. Download the free maintenance and cleanup program "OnyX" from here and run it in auto mode. The program is free and one that we recommend. Do not use any other "so called" cleaner program as most are snake oil.

Also, you didn't mention how much memory your iMac had installed. Nowadays more memory is required as apps consume more of it when running. Adding memory to your iMac is very easy and not expensive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMac is running on 12GB of ram as listed under my username :) I'll try out that app and see what it comes out with.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I missed the 12 GB. :Oops: That certainly should be enough to run most apps. Let us know if OnyX helps.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I got this notification:
aAlFC.png

If I did as suggested, would I lose any data?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That could very well be the reason your system has slowed down. And no, you won't lose data by using Disk Utility verify and repair. However, I strongly recommend you do a complete backup of your hard drive before attempting any repairs. Use Time Machine or make a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have time machine running on an external hard disk so that shouldn't be a problem. I was concerned since I'm doing my thesis and although I've got a ton of copies, what I do not have is the time to actually restore any lost data :p

Anyhow, I ran it and It fixed a couple of permissions and had a couple of "orphaned files" issues were fixed and bloody **** the iMac feels like new, even though it's loaded with files & spotlight is re-indexing everything! The hard disk stopped making noises too, the iMac is completely silent! I'm impressed. Huge thank you!

PS: this came with a western digital caviar. Totally forgot about that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, glad to hear it's repaired. And good luck with your thesis. It's been many years for me since I had to turn one in, and when I did mine it was on an IBM Selelectric typewriter. Yeah, I'm an old horse. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.