Setup External Hard Drive w/ Airport Extreme??

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently set up an Airport Extreme as my router on my home network. I also just purchased a Buffalo 1 TB external hard drive and planned to connect to the AE for the purpose of wireless storage. However, when I plugged in my external drive to the AE via USB, I'm unable to see anything on my Macbook. I search for it and nothing comes up.

Can someone please help? Do I need to format the external drive first? If so, how?

My Macbook is brand new and am running OSX 10.8.2.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a new Airport Extreme? According to Apple you should be able to share your hard drive over the network. See this LINK.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks - I thought I'd be able to both download and upload files to the external hard drive wirelessly. Is this possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
How is your external HD formatted... for a widows machine or for OSX

try to plug the HD into a USB port on your mac and use disk utility to check and make sure it is in
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Reaction score
External usb drive

In finder menu, select "GO", then Connect to Server. Put in the IP address of the external drive. You will see the drive in devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.