The new MacBook Pro touchpad

D

darkwingkevin

The new touchpad is a great innovation. Instead of a scrolling area along the periphery, you use two fingers on the pad to scroll or manipulate a window. Very cool.

OP
L

lil

Which my PowerBook G4 can do :flower:

As for manipulate a window, I don't know about that but my 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 12" can do the two finger scroll and always has one, Very neat.

Vicky

Reaction score
Yeah powerbooks have had them for a while now. It's awesome, I even prefer the trackpad over the standard one-buttoned mouse.

OP
D

darkwingkevin

I didn't know that the PBs had that feature. I have a 15" 1.25 GHz. I guess this was introduced in a later series?

Can I get a firmware update for that?

Reaction score
Umm I dunno when exactly it was introduced, I think it was at the beginning of 2005 or late 2004, i'm really not sure. I remember reading about it on apple.com and thinking it looked awesome, hehe. As for a firmware update, I dunno. My other laptop trackpad freezes up if you put 2 fingers on it, perhaps they're physically different. I don't know of any firmware updates for the trackpad though. Sorry. Perhaps someone else does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
My iBook has it as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Does this have to be anabled? I have a 17" powerbook G4 bought in August 2004 (1.5ghz), it should have this, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
According to the iScroll site:

iScroll2 is a modified trackpad driver that adds two-finger scrolling capabilities to supported pre-2005 PowerBooks and iBooks on OS X 10.3. Supported models include aluminum PowerBooks introduced from 2003 to 2004 as well as all G4 iBooks.

As yours is 2004, you may not have it. iScroll2 does the job extremely well and is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 12-inch G4 1.55ghz 80g 512mb superdrive
yea the new trackpad for powerbooks/ibooks came out around mid august 2005. it was when the ghz were updated also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
iScroll also adds the ability to activate Expose and Dashboard via the trackpad.

Reaction score
w...b said:
yea the new trackpad for powerbooks/ibooks came out around mid august 2005. it was when the ghz were updated also.
It came out before that. First off, it was introduced only on the Powerbooks, not the iBooks. I had my Powerbook a couple of months before August 2005, and it is equipped with the two finger scroll feature. At that time, the iBooks did not have this. Just more recently did Apple add this feature to the iBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i love iscroll, and couldn't live without it, i hate having to go to the up or down arrows!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
Just wondering...if any of you have used "SideTrack". It adds the scrolling capabilities to the ibook trackpad but is shareware (you can jsut click on "later" all you want if you do not want to buy it).

iscroll or trackpad...I'm torn. I guess i should try iscroll...worth it? I'll update later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.