Hard drive replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
Hi guys
has anyone else had an email regarding a faulty hard drive on there iMac.Here is part of the message . (Apple has determined that certain 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.
Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.) it continues to say that I can can get it replaced at any apple shop or apple retail service provider. Does anybody know what the problem is with the hard drives ???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.) it continues to say that I can can get it replaced at any apple shop or apple retail service provider. Does anybody know what the problem is with the hard drives ???

Does it really matter what the specific problem is??;) Hard drives do 1 of 2 things…they either work or they don't work. Some mechanical component in the hard drive is probably failing prematurely…thus making the hard drive "not work"…or not reliable.

If your iMac model has been identified as one that could potentially have a Seagate HD that may fail…and they will replace it for free…then do it!:) Now I would recommend not doing this right away…since every "Tom, Dic, and Harry" is probably getting their HD replaced as well. So wait a while to avoid the crowds and/or delays.

In the meantime…just have everything important backed up…and all is good!:)

- Nick

p.s. If you really want more info…here you go::)

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/1...program-now-covers-imacs-sold-from-2009-2011/
http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/
http://blog.macsales.com/15165-apple-extends-imac-hard-drive-replacement-program

OP
f1mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
Thanks pigoo3 I only really wanted to know if it maybe an immediate thing that I needed to get done, I believe that I or we have until april next year so ill probably wait a few months before handing it over. I agree that everyone would probably be rushing to get theres done soon,
Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks pigoo3 I only really wanted to know if it maybe an immediate thing that I needed to get done, I believe that I or we have until april next year so ill probably wait a few months before handing it over. I agree that everyone would probably be rushing to get theres done soon,
Thanks.

As long as you have everything important backed up you will be fine.:)

Apple always gives lots of time for these sort of special repair programs…so there's really no need for anyone to rush out right away to get the repair done…unless it will help you sleep better at night!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.