MacBook Pro disconnects 2nd HDD on sleep

Reaction score
Hi there -
After years of toting around annoying external USB hard drives with my 13" late-2009 MBP 2.26 GHz, I finally made the following internal hardware changes:

1 .Replaced the DVD drive with a generic opti-bay hard drive caddy (Amazon.com: Hard Drive Caddy Tray for Apple Unibody MacBook / MacBook Pro 13 15 17 SuperDrive (Replacement Only): Computers & Accessories) with a Samsung 830 128gb SSD installed in it.

2 . Replaced the original 160gb Fujitsu HDD with a WD 320gb HDD (model WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0) that I had pulled out of an old WD My Passport Essential USB external HDD.

3. Cloned my OS (10.8.2) on to the SSD, & wiped & reformatted the HDD for storage.

So far everything runs great (and fast!) EXCEPT if I put the computer to sleep. When the machine wakes up, I get a "The Disk Was Not Ejected Properly" error message and my HDD is gone, 100% of the time. I can hear that the HDD is still spinning. If I put the machine to sleep again, it will spin down, & spin up when the machine wakes. But I cannot see the drive again until I reboot.

For now I have told the machine to never go to sleep in the Energy Saver preference pane, but I am hoping for a better solution.

Any thoughts?

Tanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.