CUDA on Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am CUDA developer and i have a Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It has 2 GPUs:

- HD Graphics 4000
- NVidia GeForce GT 650M CUDA capable.

For compile my CUDA code i have not problems but i can not run my applications. I have installed gfxCardStatus for control the GPU that is working.

The problem is:

- If i active the Nvidia GPU then it is busy with the screen graphics. I only can run applications that don't take more than 5 seconds. The time limit in the kernels is activated. This is the result of devicequery of NVIDIA sdk:

Run time limit on kernels: Yes

And my applications need more that 5 seconds. So i always get a Time out.

- If i active HD Graphics 4000 and i let free the Nvidia GPU, then it can not find any Nvidia GPU. This is the result of devicequery of NVIDIA sdk:

no CUDA-capable device is detected

So, is this MacBook CUDA capable for applications that take more that 5 seconds ?

Thanks, Moises.

Reaction score
effective CUDA device number

Hi,

How about the following procedure ?

1) Check 2 GPUs device numbers by
/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0/samples/bin/darwin/release/deviceQuery

2) It is expected GT 650M has an effective CUDA device number.
So specify the number by cudaSetDevice() function call in the source code of the application you wan to run, and remake it.

Regards,

Hi all,

I am CUDA developer and i have a Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It has 2 GPUs:

- HD Graphics 4000
- NVidia GeForce GT 650M CUDA capable.

For compile my CUDA code i have not problems but i can not run my applications. I have installed gfxCardStatus for control the GPU that is working.

The problem is:

- If i active the Nvidia GPU then it is busy with the screen graphics. I only can run applications that don't take more than 5 seconds. The time limit in the kernels is activated. This is the result of devicequery of NVIDIA sdk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.