Newbie Q - external drive is full but no files - how do I erase and format correctly?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to computers/hard drives and usually end up making an inadvertent (yet serious) mistake when I try to go even an inch beyond the basics. That's why I'm asking for your help please.

I have a Seagate GoFlex Turbo external drive and am running Mac OS X 10.5.8. My hard drive is almost full, even though I have no files on them anymore.

What happened was I backed up my computer a few times and found that Time Machine was making duplicate copies of my computer. I was under the impression that a new backup would only back up changes to my computer and not a complete rewrite/backup of everything. I figured it was wasting space on my hard drive so I manually deleted the backups. Now, even though the files are deleted, there's no room on the drive.

So here are my 2 questions:

(1) How can I get back the space on the hard drive? Do I need to reformat the hard drive? And if so, which format do I pick? (I don't want to pick the wrong one and make the hard drive incompatible with my computer going forward).

(2) Is there a way to set up Time Machine so that a backup only downloads *changes* to the files on my computer, rather than backing up the entire computer over and over?

Again, I'm not too savvy with these things (which is why I'm making a new post - I couldn't understand any of the technical lingo I read on posts relating to my question) so can you please try to dumb it down for me?

I REALLY appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Normally, for externals, once deleted you need empty the recycle bin/trash to reclaim the free space.

However, in this case I would open System Preferences and turn Time Machine Off.
Then open Disk Utility and format the drive as HFS+

Now turn Time Machine back on and point it at the external. The default settings for Time Machine is a full backup to start then a rolling month of daily backups and 24 hours of hourly backups.
After the first full backup the changes should just be incremental

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.