No CD drive in new IMAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
I just realized the new Imac's being issued next month will not have a cd drive( had to ask my nephew what the optical drive was- I'm a dinosaur) I guess I better finish uploading my cd's onto itunes on mylaptop- I have an external cd/dvd drive for my netbook- and most software is online, but it's like when I first went from a big ole tower to a laptop-
The new model will have double the memory and faster processor- I don't yet have the $$ to get my mac so I will wait for the new one .
I was burning one cd a day - dug up my old huge CD Album- Had no idea I had so many

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
The slot-loading drives on the iMac were only 8x. You can get a 24x external USB drive for $50.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
The slot-loading drives on the iMac were only 8x. You can get a 24x external USB drive for $50.

my portable drive is 8x- will probably upgrade in future

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Apple has decided what is good for you! [cf. ditching firewire not that long ago] There are cheap - and reliable - external usb optical drives. Good for oldies like me who still have thousands of images stored on dvd, and who don't wish to clutter a hard drive with same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
An iMac with an external optical drive is illogical. Clutter on your desk, where the iMac was designed to be sleek and visually cable free.

Some third party is probably building a sleek aluminum drive that can be attached to the stand and look good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
An iMac with an external optical drive is illogical. Clutter on your desk, where the iMac was designed to be sleek and visually cable free.

Where is the clutter when the drive can be stowed away until needed? And really.. how big to you think external drives are? There are already third party vendors such as 12 south who make things that would cater to your gripes: BackPack 2 - BackPack 2 - Twelve South Done and done. You and no one else will see a thing on your desk. And it's NOT illogical. It's VERY logical. See my next quote for why:

hughvane said:
Apple has decided what is good for you! [cf. ditching firewire not that long ago]

In a way, you're right. Apple has a history of deciding which technologies would have fallen by the wayside without their intervention, but tends to be proactive about making sure they're on the forefront of bleeding edge tech, even if it's not ready for mass consumption. Case in point? Right now, it's Thunderbolt. Will it go mainstream? Maybe. If prices come down enough. Is it necessary for that segment of the market? Not really. USB 3.0 is more than enough for what every day users need. And is faster than FW 800. Yep, I have to purchase new externals, but it's well worth it for me to do so.

If Apple didn't make moves like this, who knows? Maybe your computer would still be fitted with one of these:

BEI-LR1043-R-unit.jpg

I bet people were furious about not being able to use those either.. but hey, I guess it all worked out, eh? I hate to sound like the "technology moves forward" guy.. but it's true. I for one am glad that lasers and disks are being put to out to pasture. Flash drives are here now, are cheap, fast and are much more green than any of the other options as far as I know.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Will that be true of the Mini as well?

Current model Mac-Mini's (Mid-2011) already had the optical drive removed. The "Late 2012" Mac-Mini's will also have no optical drive.

- Nick

Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it isnt the lack of cd drive that bothers me its the design which makes me think it will be very expensive for any repairs.

But the lack of optical drive in the new Mac-Mini is the topic of this thread…not whether the design is expensive for repairs.;)

As far as the Mac-Mini design…and cost of repairs. The accessibility of the Mac-Mini hasn't really changed since 2005…when the first Mac-Mini's were released. So it's probably a bit late to start talking about Mac-Mini accessibility & repairs.;) Accessibility with the newest Mac-Mini model really hasn't changed.

And besides…there's really not going to be much repairing to a Mac-Mini anyway. At this point there's really only a hard drive, ram, and the logic board inside.

- Nick

p.s. If you feel strongly about the Windows PC option…then go for it!:)

Reaction score
But the lack of optical drive in the new Mac-Mini is the topic of this thread…not whether the design is expensive for repairs.;)

p.s. If you feel strongly about the Windows PC option…then go for it!:)

the topic is the lack of optical drive on the iMac not Mac-Mini as I said Im not bothered about it but I see no reasons not to voice a genuine concern because like anything man made there is chance it could breakdown.

As for the PC option I had already said I would more than likely buy an iMac and the other options WAS something I was looking at, but I see no reason not to show a comparable PC to highlight the the differences between the iMac especially how much better looking it is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Optical media is pretty near end of life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Yaknow, the Apple USB Superdrive is now available for Macs like the Mini, he Air and the MBPs without optical drives, I'm sure it'll work with the new iMac as well, and would look good seated on the stand......just sayin !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.