an apple spy?

Reaction score
i've had this imac, os 7.5, for about 6 months. all this time it keeps track of what i'm doing. there's this little box that says "all messages" on top. then a list of stuff. like this:

7:39:52 pm (0x0-0x2a) . com. apple.Safari : info: check decoder..... and so on.
seems to be mostly kernelspeak, but still

so my question is do they need to monitor every least keystroke? if so, why? and who are they sending it to? the cia? the white house? which keystrokes will prompt a visit from the authorities? and can i turn it off?

thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i've had this imac, os 7.5, for about 6 months.

I'm assuming you mean Mac OS 10.7.5??…since there actually was an OS version "7.5" back in the 1990's.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you have Console open in the Dock. If so just drag it off and it should vanish in a puff of smoke.

OP
Z
Reaction score
console in dock

Sounds like you have Console open in the Dock. If so just drag it off and it should vanish in a puff of smoke.

console is indeed in dock. dragging it out does make a puff of smoke, but then it jumps right back,

also i got terminal in dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Open Console from utilities and then go to the Menu bar and hit the 'Quit' button. Same with Terminal. Hitting the little red button merely closes the window, and does not quit the application.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, what you're seeing are system logs, which are generally kept for troubleshooting. They are purged systematically over time, but can be useful if something goes awry with your machine. They are roughly akin to the Event Log in Windows. All major Operating Systems log system activity for these purposes and it shouldn't be cause for concern.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.