• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I have to say...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I have to say that this is one of the more dissapointing MacWorld expos that I can remember. Ok so we got new intel PowerBooks and iMacs, well that doesn't do me any good. Im not going to go out and buy all new computers just because they're intel processors in them and there is a "MacBook" with Front Row. iLife '06... Im still on '04 and don't have any plans on upgrading. And to top it all off no BlueTooth Mighty Mouse, which buy the way had to of been the most wanted Apple product for the MacWorld expo.

Well I'm dissappointed. Please share your thoughts.

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
macbook? what a lame name!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They need a Spreadsheet in iWorks. The BT Mighty Mouse is something so many want. So in those ways I am disapointed. The new macs are nice, especially the new MacBook, but the iMac Core Duo while nice, I, even if I could sell my new iMac G5 which I love, will not be buying one. This machine is VERY fast with everything I do. And yes I run AMD 64 systems also and they are very fast, but in most things I do, and trust me, I do a lot of demanding stuff with my computers, the G5 iMac iSight keeps right up.

It's Games where the AMD 64 really shines, and I have one set up just for that.

The new Mac Book though was needed as the G4 is getting old and needed an update.

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Another thing that burns me is that there still is not (very needed) iPod update.

L

lil

Great things could have happened. And time will tell over the course of the year whether they still will.

Personally I am really intrigued by iLife 06 which was my highlight product personally, since I get so much use out of the products, plus I can put my .Mac account to use which I have had since getting APP in September, and not yet used it at all!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
ben what do u mean by ipod update? for the older generations?

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
macAttack said:
ben what do u mean by ipod update? for the older generations?
Life a firmware update for the video/nano ipods.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
lil said:
Great things could have happened. And time will tell over the course of the year whether they still will.

Personally I am really intrigued by iLife 06 which was my highlight product personally, since I get so much use out of the products, plus I can put my .Mac account to use which I have had since getting APP in September, and not yet used it at all!

Vicky

Agreed, I am also impressed with iLife 06. I just wish they added more to iWork. Maybe they will soon.

L

lil

Agreed again on that count, there should be a spreadsheet app....

Maybe next year eh ;)

Either way some of the new stuff does look good, I do like iWork but it needs a spreadsheet for me to basically stop using Office to create *new* documents for myself (I'll always call on Office for stuff from outside or stuff needing collaboration between parties).

Either way, iWeb does look great for those not clued up to web design, Garage Band's podcasting stuff is neat, iMovie's improvements look great, iDVD looks better still and the new stuff in iPhoto had me going 'me want, me want!'.

Photocasting is also a very great, and quite cute idea. iLife always impresses my friends and relatives when they see how easy it is to be productive, followed with

"So you can get this on Windows too, right?"

;)

Vicky

Reaction score
I was hoping for Intel iBook or I guess what would be consider a MacBook (non-pro). I just wouldn't use a laptop enough to justify spending that much money on it, but if I was going to spend $2000, that MacBook Pro seems to be pretty amazing.

L

lil

Well an Intel iBook would have upstaged the PowerBooks, it would not have been a good idea.

And it sounds like an iBook G4 will more than satisfy your needs.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i was dissapointed not to see an update on the minis really i thought that they would have given them an update, nothing to major though

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like the mac mini and the iBook will update the next time. Most likely before summer.

L

lil

Well as Steve said, all the models will move Intel within this year.

Which means most realistically, the Mac Mini and iBook and other Mac Book models will be here in time for Microsoft's Windows Vista, I expect the Power Mac or its intel equivalent using Conroe due for later this year will be the last one to switch over.

Given the intel Mac Mini didn't debut, perhaps it signifies pieces of the jigsaw are not in place, such as Front Row 2 or whatever not being ready, ITMS not having movie downloads yet, or the tv tuner not being ready; and thus it is better to wait until those bits are ready.

Plus the Mac Mini will likely use a Single Core Yonah, much as the iBook or their successor will.

And take heart that this Mac Book thing has Front Row capability, a sign that the iBook and Mac Mini are going to get this capability almost certainly - though I doubt the high end Power Macs will.

Considering the switch was officially noted in June '06, announcing new Intel iMacs and Pow... Mac Books ;) today is actually pretty good going in my books.

Vicky

Reaction score
lil said:
Well an Intel iBook would have upstaged the PowerBooks, it would not have been a good idea.

True, I wouldn't have thought the lowest model Core Solo would have been as fast as the highest model PowerBook, but it looks as if it is.

L

lil

It will be faster, but there comes a point pretty quickly in day to day computing that your computer's speed is slowed by the user interacting with it.

Things such as movie editing, movie/music compression, hardcore image processing and scientific simulations will benefit, but make no mistake, the G4 is hardly an over the hill processor.

As much as Steve has done a world of good to Apple in his second coming, be careful of spin and exaggeration. It wasn't long ago on telly I saw adverts declaring the Power Macintosh G4 500MHz as being declared as a super-computer. Which technically it was.

The top end G4s are far from slow; but it is a dead end in terms of further development, hence the move to Intel. However whilst Rosetta for now will be emulating most things, I reckon the PowerBook G4s will hold their own for a little while; but before long for intensive stuff, the Mac Book's will outpace them.

For the time being and the next few years, I can't see why my PowerBook which has allowed me to produce stunning stuff in Painter IX will stop me doing so now :flower:

Also the new iBooks/Mac Mini's may use the ULV Intel Core processors, which run at 1.5 and 1.6GHz IIRC.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
My original thought is what a disappointment that some of the easy stuff had not been taken care of like BT MM etc and I think it was no suprise that they announced intel based machines.. The suprise for most was the desktop that did..

I have been thinking about this a lot this evening and I have come to the conclusion that names of products aside, we have had some good releases today.

I guess what has made it a little sour is the fact that so many people will have gone out and bought new iMacs etc but those people should have bought a machine that was taking care of their needs and I can't see why this change will effect the masses as the machine it has replaced is still an excellent machine, which is more than capable of doing the day to day tasks and more..

I guess we have to accept that this is a time of change and we are just going through the natural human emotions of when change is forced upon us.

What does not help here is that because we are not privy to Steve's plan of announcements for the year other than we can only see the now and not the future. Will Steve need something as big as Macworld to announce BTMM or a spreadsheet fot iworks 06?

I think as the weeks/months progress in 2006 and the exciting part will be is how they structure the new line of machines - pro / non pro etc and whether the software developers can utilise the most out of these machines. It does sound like there has been a lot of resource put into getting these machines ready for today and maybe this is why the other things have been put on the back burner for now?

Ilife 06 looks awesome and I cant personally wait to get my hands on it and will be worth the money.

The MacBook Pro - maybe it will grow on me eventually, the name that is. I think it is still the best looking portable out there and with the built in isight, wow.. Disappointed that there seems to be a bit of going backwards with less connections as standard, maybe they felt that this would not have effect? I don't know, but time will tell I guess.

Anyway, my thoughts are over on this and I hope that 2006 allows Apple to go from strength to strength...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.