MBP Boot Problem... Please HELP!!!

Reaction score
Have got a 2008 MacBook Pro that I am simply trying to reformat and install Leopard on.

However, after putting in the install disk and restarting the MBP by holding down 'C', I selected to boot from the CD and the computer has now gone dead.

The screen is black and when pressing the Power button the light on the front flashes a few times and goes off.

When pressing and holding the power button, the light flashes a little longer and the CD drive appears to make its usual clicking noise, but still nothing on the screen, etc.

I've tried resetting the SMC and PRAM, and loads of other key combinations, but no difference at all.

The battery is fully charged and the power cable is plugged in.

I wonder if the computer isn't able to boot from the CD? But I can't eject the CD using any of the key combinations I've found (holding down space bar or trackpad).

The computer was fine before I selected the boot device to be the CD, so is this a coincidental hardware failure???

Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I believe it's a coincidence that this fault occurred when you tried booting from a CD. From your descriptions it seems possible that your logic board may be suffering from the Nvidia issue. The only sure way to test is to have an AASP or Genius Bar to run the graphics processor test. This produces a log file that indicates whether it's an Nvidia issue or not. If it is and it's still under 4 years old, the logic board can be replaced at no charge.

Another possibility is a RAM fault. Faulty RAM can cause the LED to flash, but usually beeps as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.