Reinstalling Adobe CS5.5

Reaction score
I bought a used MacBook pro, which has "adobe's production premium suite CS 5.5" already installed on it . I am planning to format the drive and reinstall Mac. how can I reinstall CS5.5. I beleive there should be a way to find out the serial number,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Contact Adobe and pay them for a license for CS 5.5 and they'll send you a serial number along with disks. (You don't own the copy of CS 5.5 unless the previous owner gave you the original disks and serial number.)

OP
F
Reaction score
Contact Adobe and pay them for a license for CS 5.5 and they'll send you a serial number along with disks. (You don't own the copy of CS 5.5 unless the previous owner gave you the original disks and serial number.)

Actually I am buying this laptop today afternoon, so deal is still ON , what shall I ask for ? serial number ? He doesn't have the disk, he had a download link, so shall I ask for the email that has serial number ?

BTW, I am paying $150.00 more for this laptop, because it has this software

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Actually I am buying this laptop today afternoon, so deal is still ON , what shall I ask for ? serial number ? He doesn't have the disk, he had a download link, so shall I ask for the email that has serial number ?

BTW, I am paying $150.00 more for this laptop, because it has this software

If you are not getting the original install disks or some sort of official transfer of the license)…then the software is not legit! If this software was registered with the current owner of the laptop…this is not you…and when you call Adobe…they're going to say…"Sorry…but you need to purchase the software." You're not going to get $1500 worth of software for +$150 on top of the price of the computer…and have the software be legit!!

Adobe CS 5.5 is an older version…and Adobe may or may not still be selling it. In any case…if you call Adobe…you're going to have to pay the full price for the software.

- Nick

Reaction score
The laptop is worth more than $150 without the software. If you are not getting the original install disks or some sort of official transfer of the license)…then the software is not legit!

I think what he meant was that he's spending $150 on top of the seller's asking price because it has that software.

But if he doesn't have the original install disks, keep your $150.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think what he meant was that he's spending $150 on top of the seller's asking price because it has that software.

But if he doesn't have the original install disks, keep your $150.

Yes you're right…after rereading it does sound that way. Thanks for mentioning that!:)

@OP: In any case…+$150, +$300, +$500…etc…on top of the price of the laptop...NEVER pay extra for installed software…especially Adobe Software. Adobes licensing process is very strict…and you'll end up paying extra…and still not own the software!

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes you're right…after rereading it does sound that way. Thanks for mentioning that!:)

@OP: In any case…+$150, +$300, +$500…etc…on top of the price of the laptop...NEVER pay extra for installed software…especially Adobe Software. Adobes licensing process is very strict…and you'll end up paying extra…and still not own the software!

- Nick

Thanks, Yes I confirm I was paying $150+ for this software. Lets say the owner gives me the original disk, then still I won't own this software ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Yes I confirm I was paying $150+ for this software. Lets say the owner gives me the original disk, then still I won't own this software ?

I'm not 100% sure if Adobe CS5.5 was on disk…or download only (or both)…so you may want to check on that.

But really…even if you had the disks…if the original owner registered the software with Adobe when it was first installed (name, address, phone number, software serial number, etc.)…the software is "locked" to that person. Maybe there's a process to transfer the ownership of the software…but I'm sure it's not cheap (you may have to purchase your own license/serial #).

Look at it from Adobe's point of view. Owner #1 may have paid upwards of $1500 for the software…then say the computer is sold multiple times…this would mean owners #2, #3, and #4 get the software for free…while owner #1 retains legal ownership of the software (due to their initial registration with Adobe).

Don't pay +$150 for the software unless the seller can prove that you are the "official" new owner of the software…and I'm pretty sure this would require you to call Adobe to verify it. Otherwise…the seller will be smiling all the way to the bank…with the extra $150 you paid them!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.