Mac book pro 2011. My fan are going 6000rpm only when charging.

Reaction score
Hello folks. Today i encountered a disturbing problems on my 2011 Mac Book Pro 10.8.2 version.
I realise that my fans are going 6000+rpm while charing my Mac Book pro, but when i unplug the charger becomes normal, hitting 2000rpm.
This is really frustrating.
I tried to solved the problem by resetting my smc but no luck. i think its not overheating since its reaching only 54 degrees.
Also i've check my activity monitor while charging but nothing abnormal.
I have also tried fixing the problem with smc fan controlling by changing the rpm to 2350 but also no luck was found.
So i came to you guys hopefully you guys can help me.
i was thinking if i reformatted my macbook pro it would get rid of this annoying problem?
Any Suggestions?
Thank you!:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reformatting is not going to solve a hardware problem. Is your MacBook Pro covered by Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have them look at it. The fan should not be ramping up during the charging cycle and SMCFanControl as you found out is not going to help.

Until you can get it looked at, I would shut the machine off to charge it rather than keep it on while it's charging. That will prevent undo wear and tear on the fan bearings.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for replying.
Im not covered with Apple care. Is there any way to get it fix with having apple care?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can certainly have Apple look at even though you're not covered by Apple care, however, they may charge for the diagnostic and will likely also charge you for any repairs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.