Planning to buy 13-inch: 2.5GHz with Retina display..Please kindly advise me

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I would like to buy 13-inch: 2.5GHz with Retina display.I am worried about memory size.
Please tel me what is flash memory? Is it ok to have 128GB flash memory? why apple offering low size memory? Is it worth to buy it with $1699?

Do you have any other suggestions?
Please kindly advise me

Thank you in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The retina Macbook Pro's have SSD's (Solid State Drive) which is essentially a ton of non-moving, non-volatile flash memory that looks like a hard drive to the computer. Traditional HD's have a number of platters and a number of fingers to read/write the data and the speed at which the platters spin and where the data is stored on that platter determines how quickly you can read/write..

SSD's with no moving parts don't have those limitations and thus result in faster read (and write) times for overall better performance..

Now SSD's have really begun hitting the computer markets in the past few years, as opposed to HD's which have been serving this purpose for decades, and as such the sizes of these are small right now. You CAN get a 512GB SSD, but the price is quite high compared to a traditional HD.

Now with 128GB of storage, you have to keep a constantly vigil on what you put on your drive and if you are going to have a ton of stuff you should consider using an external drive for all that.

Flash memory, unlike traditional HD, have a cycle time associated with them and as you write constantly to these devices, they will begin to develop errors and eventually fail. That's just the nature of Flash and using your SSD as your primary storage can make this happen a lot faster than you want it to..

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you.

I can not afford 512G. Thats not in my budget.instead I would like to for 13-inch: 2.5GHz of $1199.

Please suggest what is the difference between 13-inch: 2.5GHz and 13-inch: 2.5GHz with retina display . only retina display and RAM size?

Thank you

The retina Macbook Pro's have SSD's (Solid State Drive) which is essentially a ton of non-moving, non-volatile flash memory that looks like a hard drive to the computer. Traditional HD's have a number of platters and a number of fingers to read/write the data and the speed at which the platters spin and where the data is stored on that platter determines how quickly you can read/write..

SSD's with no moving parts don't have those limitations and thus result in faster read (and write) times for overall better performance..

Now SSD's have really begun hitting the computer markets in the past few years, as opposed to HD's which have been serving this purpose for decades, and as such the sizes of these are small right now. You CAN get a 512GB SSD, but the price is quite high compared to a traditional HD.

Now with 128GB of storage, you have to keep a constantly vigil on what you put on your drive and if you are going to have a ton of stuff you should consider using an external drive for all that.

Flash memory, unlike traditional HD, have a cycle time associated with them and as you write constantly to these devices, they will begin to develop errors and eventually fail. That's just the nature of Flash and using your SSD as your primary storage can make this happen a lot faster than you want it to..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Retina MBPs come with whatever memory they come with and cannot be upgraded. They come with the Retina screen and also the SSD's. You can add SSD's to the regular MBP's in addition to the HD. You can also upgrade the base 13-inch MBP to 8GB on your own or purchase the faster non-Retina 13-MBP with the 8GB of memory.

IMO, 128GB of total storage is a little light and you WILL need to have additional external storage to avoid running into issues. But if upgrading to a larger SSD is not in the budget and you don't want to go with an external drive and don't really need the Retina display, the regular 13-inch MBP's are your best option..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.