transferring data

Reaction score
I would like to transfer videos and photos from a PC formatted external hard drive to my macbook pro. How do I do that?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the external HD is formatted as FAT32, then you can just plug it into your MBP and browse to it in Finder and copy the files you want. If it is formatted as NTFS, then I believe OS X should still be able to read the drive, just not write to it. If that isn't the case, there are few applications you can use to access the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forum . . . .

You should be able to just drag and drop them into a folder on your Mac
Or if you want to use iPhoto, then open iPhoto and import from the external straight into iPhoto.

That should be about it . . . .

EDIT : To add to what Raz0rEdge posted you can dl and use MacFuse to access those files.

OP
K
Reaction score
format?

How do I find out which format the external drive is in? I have no clue...sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hook it up and open Disk Utility and click on it in the left column and have a look down the bottom and see what it is . . . .

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The easiest thing to do is feign ignorance and just plug it into your MBP, if the drive becomes available in Finder, then go about your business without regard of what format it's in...if it doesn't work, however, then we can take necessary steps to make it work..

OP
K
Reaction score
neet code

Ok, just tried that and it says Quick time can't open...required code isn't available. So I copied to a dvd go the same message. ugh!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you open Finder and then insert the external drive, so you see a new name appear on your left sidebar? If so, can you click on it and see the contents one your dismiss whatever pops up from Quicktime?

OP
K
Reaction score
When the required code message isn't available pops up I have two options, ok or more help. More help just gives me, i guess, required codes. So do I need to change the movie file extension? they are MPEG and the help has MPEG-2 (for OS X lion) which I have. Sorry I am new to macs.
Thank you!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you burn this disc as a DVD on your Windows machine or is just a collection of videos and pictures? If the former, see if you can hit OK and then load up iDVD (if it's installed) or VLC and point it to the inserted disc and see what happens. If the latter, then you shouldn't be seeing any of these messages to begin with..

OP
K
Reaction score
I tried to burn from external hard drive to dvd...didn't work. I have VLC and moved them all to that, but when I disconnect the external hard drive they all come up with an error message. Your input can not be opened and file read failed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.