Checking the condition of a used macbook

Reaction score
Hey, prospective new mac user here. I have a pretty powerful windows laptop (thinkpad W520) that I am thinking of trading to someone on craigslist for their macbook pro. If I do decide to go through with it I plan to test it before the trade is finalized. Here are my questions:

If this were you, what things would you check to make sure the macbook is in good working order? Anything you can think of that might raise a red flag?

Does apple offer repairs for macbooks? Do I need to get any documentation from the other guy to be eligible for these repairs?

I am naturally a little wary of trading with someone I have never met before, and am just envisioning this scenario where as soon as we finalize the trade the macbook dies or somehow winds up being defective. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Reaction score
Hey, prospective new mac user here. I have a pretty powerful windows laptop (thinkpad W520) that I am thinking of trading to someone on craigslist for their macbook pro. If I do decide to go through with it I plan to test it before the trade is finalized. Here are my questions:

If this were you, what things would you check to make sure the macbook is in good working order? Anything you can think of that might raise a red flag?

Does apple offer repairs for macbooks? Do I need to get any documentation from the other guy to be eligible for these repairs?

I am naturally a little wary of trading with someone I have never met before, and am just envisioning this scenario where as soon as we finalize the trade the macbook dies or somehow winds up being defective. Thanks in advance for any tips!
If you will still be within the warranty period, then you need paperwork from the vendor. Is this acceptable by Apple? Apple do repairs outside the warranty period too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.