New iMacs DVD?

Reaction score
Anyone there knows if the new iMac models announced today comes with a DVD recorder as the previous models? I want to buy a new iMac because mine is almost 6 years old and need a replacement. But I was not able to find if the new ones comes with the DVD capability included as they are so thin!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new iMac models are without an optical drive if that's what you mean. However, you can still burn DVDs and CDs if you attach an external optical drive. You will just need to have the proper software to do so.

Reaction score
What's a comparable PC version of the iMac?

(but with built in optical drive)

Just received 3 disks of photos; was hoping to purchase the new Imac but don't want cable on my desk running to an external drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Over the years, many people have acknowledged that one of the "weaknesses" of the iMac was the optical drive. Perhaps having a vertical enclosure rather than a horizontal one may have been a factor. Whatever, there has been some displeasure with the drive.

Apple have decided to dispense with the optical drive, in part, to allow the iMac to be thinner. Their decision follows in the wake of the MacBook Air for example.

There are numerous good quality CD/DVD recorder/players on market. I rather presumed that the new iMac would include the appropriate software; but chscag who has forgotten more than I have ever learned about these matters suggests otherwise.

Even with in-built software, I have always preferred Toast Titanium by Roxio which does a great deal more than burn CDs & DVDs, but you have to pay for this.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Surely one of the main points of the iMac is have everything in the same unit; that's one of the reasons I bought mine. Now I also have a video camera and am starting to send dvds to family abroad it's nice to have all the editing and burning facilities together.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Surely one of the main points of the iMac is have everything in the same unit; that's one of the reasons I bought mine. Now I also have a video camera and am starting to send dvds to family abroad it's nice to have all the editing and burning facilities together.

With the proliferation of cloud services, I imagine that soon you'll be able to create all of your videos and then set them up in some cloud server and then pass along the link for others to view.

Apple usually takes a lot of heat for making decisions well before the general public is willing to make them and then gets praised for being trailblazers..

If your current Mac is in perfectly working condition, then surely there's no need to sweat the lack of an optical drive in the new iMacs and by the time it's time to upgrade, cloud storage will be dirt cheap and we'll all be using it..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.