What adapter will help music play through speakers?

Reaction score
Hi, what adapter will allow an iPhone 5 to play music through my car's speakers? What do you recommend? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
This really depends on the stereo system you have in your car. There are basically 4 ways to play your iPhone music in your car.

1. RF Adapter - plays through the radio, generally in the 88.x FM range. Staticy at best.
2. Phono Plug - plugs into the AUX adapter in the stereo. Plug looks like a cable with 2 earphone jacks - one on each end.
3. USB input - will use the iPhone sync cable to play through a USB input.
4. Bluetooth - pair your phone with your car stereo to play music.

Now, as I said, it will depend on your car's stereo system as to what it supports. Only option 1 will work with all stereos. The rest are addons or extras.

You can, depending on car model and year, add iPhone support via an addon like a Bluetooth adapter that sits behind the stereo.

I ended up replacing my car's head unit with a new one that supported Bluetooth, USB, AUX cable and even microSD. It cost me less to do the whole unit than adding the Bluetooth adapter.

OP
C
Reaction score
This really depends on the stereo system you have in your car. There are basically 4 ways to play your iPhone music in your car.

1. RF Adapter - plays through the radio, generally in the 88.x FM range. Staticy at best.
2. Phono Plug - plugs into the AUX adapter in the stereo. Plug looks like a cable with 2 earphone jacks - one on each end.
3. USB input - will use the iPhone sync cable to play through a USB input.
4. Bluetooth - pair your phone with your car stereo to play music.

Now, as I said, it will depend on your car's stereo system as to what it supports. Only option 1 will work with all stereos. The rest are addons or extras.

You can, depending on car model and year, add iPhone support via an addon like a Bluetooth adapter that sits behind the stereo.

I ended up replacing my car's head unit with a new one that supported Bluetooth, USB, AUX cable and even microSD. It cost me less to do the whole unit than adding the Bluetooth adapter.

Thank you so much. I went and checked and my car does have an "AUX" hole so I'm going to purchase this Newegg.com Shopping Cart Thanks for your help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Glad that works, that is by far, the easiest.

BTW, you need to link the item, not your cart, as carts are not viewable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.