Seagate EHD freezing up

Reaction score
My iMac has a Western Digital hard drive, and I've had no problem with WD external drives, but the last time I got a Seagate one and it always freezes up on me. It works at first, but at some point it freezes up, which sometimes affects other applications running at the time. Disconnecting the drive resolves those problems, so I know that's the culprit.

Also, there has been a recall of some iMacs that were built with 1TB Seagate hard drives. I no longer have one since mine had a problem a while back and it was replaced with the WD I now have. So, it seems like there is some conflict between Seagate and WD drives. I've looked for solutions, but haven't seen any, so I have come here to see if anyone else has had this problem and if they've found a solution. I don't want to just throw away a 2TB drive. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Connect up the Seagate and see if it appears in Disk Utility. If so select it and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I did that and it came back with "The volume FreeAgent GoFlex Drive appears to be OK."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.