• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Samsung to Cease Providing LCD Panels to Apple in 2013

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The Korea Times reports that the deteriorating relationship between Apple and Samsung that has seen the two companies reducing their component supply deals is now extending to LCD panels, with Samsung reportedly ending supplies of the panels to Apple next year.
The Cupertino, California-based firm has been lowering its reliance on Samsung-manufactured displays for use in its popular i-branded devices as it is leveraging its influence to source components from Samsung’s rivals attracted by better pricing.

“We are unable to supply our flat-screens to Apple with huge price discounts. Samsung has already cut our portion of shipments to Apple and next year we will stop shipping displays,” said a senior Samsung source, asking not to be named, Monday.
The report claims that Samsung shipped approximately 15 million LCD panels to Apple in the first half of 2012, with the pace falling to 3 million panels in the third quarter and expected to drop to 1.5 million in the fourth quarter as Apple has shifted to other suppliers.

Samsung is reportedly not involved in LCD production for the "iPad mini", with LG Display and AU Optronics said to be handling component production. And with Apple reportedly cutting back on memory orders from Samsung and now designing its own A-series chips while using Samsung simply as a contract foundry, it seems clear that Apple is steadily reducing its reliance on Samsung as the two companies have continued to face off both in the marketplace and in courtrooms around the world.

Samsung to Cease Providing LCD Panels to Apple in 2013 - Mac Rumors

And decisions that hurt the consumers continue to be made for the sake of corporate egos and lawyers' paychecks. I guess we have a 100% rate of ghosting issues in retina MacBook Pro displays to look forward to in the future...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It's kind of hard to tell if Samsung is making a statement about an agreement they made with Apple to stop using screens from them, or is it was in fact Samsung who pulled the plug. If they did pull the plug, I wonder if there will be fines from them terminating the contract?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple would be Samsung's biggest clients, and i would think they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they went and did such a thing. Not good business even though Apple did them for a cool Billion

Reaction score
i want to get a 13 macbook retina pro, do they have ghosting issues too? damm why cant apple make anything right. And anyone who has one does it really lag in normal usage, not gaming or heavy viddeo editimg.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
i want to get a 13 macbook retina pro, do they have ghosting issues too? damm why cant apple make anything right. And anyone who has one does it really lag in normal usage, not gaming or heavy viddeo editimg.

They probably could if they didn't use third party parts. >_>" Did you not read the article at all? They don't have any control over third party parts malfunctioning.

Reaction score
i read the article and read the one that says that samsung did NOT stop supplieng apple. But if so many people are returning thenm im sure apple is aware and they can hace tighter quality control or check each panel individually. But my concern is with the 13 inch retina, is it the same crap happening too? and at the store i havent seen that problem on any of em. do you really think they will purposly save the best ones for display and sell the crappy ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
i read the article and read the one that says that samsung did NOT stop supplieng apple. But if so many people are returning thenm im sure apple is aware and they can hace tighter quality control or check each panel individually. But my concern is with the 13 inch retina, is it the same crap happening too? and at the store i havent seen that problem on any of em. do you really think they will purposly save the best ones for display and sell the crappy ones?

People love to make a big deal about this problem. Go buy one, if you are truly interested in one. If some problem comes up, return it and go buy something else. Don't make it too complicated. If you think "crap" doesn't happen to other laptops, you've been living under a rock.

Reaction score
"Crap" doesnt happen to the macbook air or regular macbook. This is not a cheap laptop. Its expensive and it shouldnt have these kind of defects. Would u buy a mercedes if u knew every other one would be a lemon? Or would u say buy one, if u really want a mercedes u can always fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.