cheapest way to play ipod through home stereo (excluding fm transmitter or tape)

Reaction score
I just picked up the new ipod to replace my old mp3 player. My old player had an easy and cheap dock to buy that has two line out ports which I simply hook up to the two audio ports in the back of my home stereo receiver.
I was looking for a way to do this with the ipod, but it seems the only way is to buy the $100 plus dock with these line out options.
This seems highly excessive and was wondering if I could go to radio shack or something and pick up some sorts of adaptor cables or something for the ipod.
I thought I could get the FM transmitter, but I heard the sound is far inferior in quality than the cassette method. I use the cassette in my car and am happy, but at home connecting directly via the audio line out cables is far superior; and I think the FM transmitter at home would be pretty poor sound quality compared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
If your stereo has an auxiliary input, you could simply get cables to run from the headphone jack on your ipod into the auxiliary input on your stereo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
so you want to connect it to your home stereo? Go to any store, and buy a cable with RCA stereo jacks on one end (one red, one white), and a headphone jack on the other. Then plug the RCA jacks into the auxillary port on your stereo, and the headphone jack into the headphone jack plugin on your ipod.

OP
W
Reaction score
no aux unfortunatly.....just the 2 audio jacks which is used for a cd player audio input, but can connect to any 2 audio input cables.

jaster said:
If your stereo has an auxiliary input, you could simply get cables to run from the headphone jack on your ipod into the auxiliary input on your stereo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
wrightm said:
no aux unfortunatly.....just the 2 audio jacks which is used for a cd player audio input, but can connect to any 2 audio input cables.

then disconnect the cd player, and connect the ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So get a Mini Jack to RCA converter cable and us the same set of RCA cables the CD player use. It should work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
baggss said:
So get a Mini Jack to RCA converter cable and us the same set of RCA cables the CD player use. It should work fine.

this is exactly what I said earlier

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, but I don't think DigitalN understood you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Radio shack, cheap wires, good prices, but quality may not be there for ya, but you can get "Y" connector with a minijack on one and RCA's on the opposite, or if you have a MIC input you can do Mini jack to MIC connector and do it that way. depending on which ipod you have, igriffin makes one fm xmtr that clips onto the ipod and runs off the ipods battery....easy and portable. Generic ones run for like $29.99

OP
W
Reaction score
thx all

THx all....got it squared away...headphone to RCA worked like a charm.
Sweet and Cheap!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.