Problems after upgrading to Snow leopard from Tiger.

Reaction score
I'm having some very annoying problems with my macbook (2007 version) after upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

The main issue seems to be while watching Youtube videos, which stutter and play slowly. Sometimes the sound goes all crackly and the system goes into kernel panic and needs to be restarted.

I've noticed it happens more often when there's a couple of different applications running at the same time. Especially a couple of different Video applications like Skype or Quicktime, alongside Safari/Firefox whilst they're running a YouTube video or using the webcam.

NEVER had a single problem like this on Tiger.

Also - I DID do a clean install of Snow Leopard, by wiping my hard drive and installing it anew - as instructed by an Apple Tech phone technician.

I'm on a Macbook 2007, 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, OSX 10.6.8

Might be worth mentioning that i also upgraded my ram from 1gb to 2gb. i have tried putting the old ram back into the computer to see if it makes a difference, but nothing changed....

PLEASE HELP!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Snow Leopard's minimum requirements are greater than that of Tiger. Running graphic intensive applications at the same time such as Skype and Quicktime may put a strain on the system. Your graphics chipset is the Intel GMA 950 which can only borrow up to 64 MB of VRAM. All of that together with the greater demand of Snow Leopard may cause slowdowns and stuttering during video playback.

You might try adding more memory. Your MacBook can accept up to 3 GB of memory.

OP
E
Reaction score
I tried that, my original system had 1GB of memory - I have upped it to 2GB but with no good results. In fact i think it was making it worse :/

So i have put the original 1GB back into the system for now....

But that would explain why it's doing this. Should I just go back to Tiger?!

Snow Leopard's minimum requirements are greater than that of Tiger. Running graphic intensive applications at the same time such as Skype and Quicktime may put a strain on the system. Your graphics chipset is the Intel GMA 950 which can only borrow up to 64 MB of VRAM. All of that together with the greater demand of Snow Leopard may cause slowdowns and stuttering during video playback.

You might try adding more memory. Your MacBook can accept up to 3 GB of memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.