Trash deleting immediately

Reaction score
I recently installed OSX Mountain Lion on my iMac, although the problem suddenly appeared when I was on Lion.

When I place files and folders in the trash basket a window opens asking for my password before I can move the items to trash. But when I click OK, the items delete without any warning.

This happens only with stuff that is on my iMac hard drive and not with items that are being placed in trash from external drives.

As I want items to be kept in the trash basket until I decide to delete (empty the basket), is there any way I can overcome this irritating behaviour, please.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you please do the following. Enable seeing hidden files (temporarily) using these instructions. Then open up Finder and go to your home directory (usually just clicking your name in the left sidebar). Check to see if you see a ".Trash" folder. If you do, click on it and hit CMD-i or right-click and choose Get Info. Look at the Permissions section and see if it says you have Read & Write permissions to it. If not, set it so that you do, you'll be prompted for your Admin password enter it and you should be back in business..

If this doesn't solve your problem, you can delete the ".Trash" folder and then log out and log back in and a new folder will be created for you that should hopefully work better..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.