joining up two Macs...

Reaction score
Is it possible to join up two macs? I have a desktop and a laptop both are snowleopads.
The reason being that I have a program that for some reason won't work on the desktop but will work on the laptop.. but the laptop's screen is small after being used to the desktop.
I would like what I have on the laptop to be seen on the desktop screen.. and would I be able to use the keypad I have for the desktop and not the laptop?

If this could be done.. what would I need??

Thank you in advance for answering... :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use Remote Access from the iMac to the MacBook or MacBook Pro. Watch this video: LINK

There is also the free "Team Viewer".

Also, Target Disk Mode might work if both machines have a firewire connection.

OP
D
Reaction score
Was hoping for something simplier like maybe a cord from one computer to the other as I have only one outlet for the internet and Teamviewer needs both computers hooked up to the internet.. or at least that's how I read it... and I don't need that as it all just for me. :(

But thanks for the info. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
.. but the laptop's screen is small after being used to the desktop.
I would like what I have on the laptop to be seen on the desktop screen.. and would I be able to use the keypad I have for the desktop and not the laptop?

Why not just plug a larger external monitor into you laptop if you need a larger display? And plug an external keyboard to solve the keyboard issue.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
cause I have my desktop mac which has an external keyboard and the desktop would act like a monitor.. or at least that's the way I think it would work. :)

I don't know alot about computers only how I think they should work. LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cause I have my desktop mac which has an external keyboard and the desktop would act like a monitor.. or at least that's the way I think it would work. :)

We do not know what desktop Mac you have…and whether it has a "video in" port. If this desktop Mac does not have a video in port (if it's an iMac…most iMac's do not have an "video in" port)…then you cannot use it as an external monitor for your laptop.

I don't know alot about computers only how I think they should work. LOL

This may be where the disconnect can be sometimes. Sometimes folks that do not know much about something...think they should work in one way…when they really don't. Thinking that something should work one way…does not make it so!;)

As I mentioned previously. The easiest way to do what you want to do is... connect an external monitor & keyboard to your laptop. In this case you could use your desktop Mac's keyboard…leaving you to source an external monitor (if your desktop Mac cannot be used).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
O.K. thanks for all your help... yep.. it's an iMac.. so guess I have to look for a monitor. :)

You've been a great help clearing that up and putting me straight. LOL

Thank you. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
O.K. thanks for all your help... yep.. it's an iMac.. so guess I have to look for a monitor. :)

If your iMac is a newer model (approx. last 2-3 years)…it may have a "video in" port. But if it's older than that…then it won't. Used (and even new) external monitors are not that expensive.

And this external monitor could be used with your iMac as well (when not using it with your laptop). So with an external monitor...you could have "dual-displays" with your laptop or iMac (all iMac's have a "video-out" port).

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.