Help or Advice - New MBP Multiple Issues... Spotlight Terminal AutoNFS WINS

Reaction score
mid june MBP os x Moutain Lion 10.8.2 [upgraded from lion which it came preinstalled with] - purchased a week ago

having some issues that i'm hoping someone might be able to help out with...

1. SPOTLIGHT SEARCH EXCLUDES MANY SYSTEM FOLDERS & FILES IN RESULTS despite system preference settings to the contrary.. ie. if i type in "java" all i get is "java visual vm" & "java internet plug in", despite the fact that there are numerous java folders and files on the machine [search "folders" is enabled in spotlight system preferences]

Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 8.19.19 PM.png

2. UNABLE TO USE THE TERMINAL APP

when i open the terminal app i get a "login:" prompt [nothing else]. tried both my user name and password and neither work. this just starting happening today - before had been able to use terminal.app without issue. i am the only user and have admin priveleges. as far as i know 'root' user is not enabled.

CONSOLE LOG DISPLAYS FOLLOWING MESSAGE WHEN I TRY TO LOGIN TO TERMINAL:

"10/21/12 8:22:23.332 PM login[973]: pam_acct_mgmt(): authentication error"

Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 8.22.43 PM.png

3. HOW CAN I DISABLE AUTOMOUNT OF MY HOME FOLDER

I don't want to share or serve files or allow any access to anyone to anything on my machine. i have everything disabled in sharing prefs -
but right now my home folder automounts on start up. i did not configure anything to make it do so and would like to disable this from happening. ideally would like to stop broadcasting, disable bonjour, stop automount, keep others from connecting to my computer in any way.

automount.png

4. i did not configure WINS in network preferrences. i am a single user on a MBP with AE router and my iphone and ipad connected to my wifi network.
yet it is configured as per system preferences default setting - see screen shot. [is this normal]?

Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 8.28.43 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.