Windows 7 Stopped Working In Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hey! I'll try to be brief - I'm not the most tech-savvy person on the planet, so please excuse me if I'm slow picking up on some stuff.

I did use Bootcamp to partition my harddrive and install Windows 7 on my macbook pro, and everything was working great for about 6 months. Suddenly, one day I was running windows 7, not doing anything out of the ordinary, and I think I just closed my laptop to put it to sleep. When I reopened it I just had a plain black screen. No big deal, I thought, I'll just restart it.

However, whenever I try to start up Windows in Normal Mode, I get the "starting windows screen" complete with the pulsing windows logo, then my mouse pointer flashes for about a second or 2 and then the screen goes BLACK, like completely black like the computer is shut off. I have no idea what I can do about that.

Oddly enough, Windows DOES start in safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, etc. I tried to go into safe mode and do a system restore, but unfortunately, there were no restore points, so I'm kind of screwed. Has this happened to anyone? Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really appreciate any help or advice on this. I use my Windows side ALOT for work, and I'm totally unable to at the moment. Thanks! If you have any questions, ask away, and I'll answer really quickly!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When the screen goes black, how long have you let it sit that way?

Many times, Windows will finish installing system updates during boot - and at times, it will hang for a bit on a black screen. On a normal Windows notebook, you'd probably just leave it alone since you'd have a hard drive activity indicator flashing to tell you something is going on. But on a Mac, you may be apt to forcibly power the machine down, and if you do this, you could either exacerbate the problem, or break the install.

I would try booting into Windows 7 in safe mode, go to Start => All Programs => Accessories, right-click "Command Prompt" and choose "Open as Administrator".

Then type:

chkdsk c: /F

It won't be able to lock the drive, so it will ask if it's OK to do on the next boot - say Yes. Then, reboot the machine and this time, allow it to sit even if it stops at a black screen (if the sleep light is on, that means the machine is still ON and working).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.