This might be stupid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 09 mac mini, core 2 duo 2.53, 4 gigs 1330 DDR3, 320 Gig HD, Samsung external DVD Burner
:D I was wondering if I wanted to change my HD in my mac mini could I just get a time machine image and when I reinstall OS X on the new HD just use that to transfer all my data and would that also carry over my apps, or am I just delusional ( I know myself enough to ask this question);D:Smirk::D:Oops::eek:
Thanks in advance for any feedback

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I usually like to use a program called "Carbon Copy Cloner" or "Super Duper" for this purpose.

- It makes an exact copy/clone of your HD as it is today.
- You install the new HD into the Mini.
- Then boot the Mini (with the new/empty HD) from an external HD with the "cloned" HD on it.
- Then "clone" the contents of the external HD back to the Mini's new HD.

Easy & done!:)

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum. Not a 'Switcher Hangout" topic.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 09 mac mini, core 2 duo 2.53, 4 gigs 1330 DDR3, 320 Gig HD, Samsung external DVD Burner
Found this

I usually like to use a program called "Carbon Copy Cloner" or "Super Duper" for this purpose.

- It makes an exact copy/clone of your HD as it is today.
- You install the new HD into the Mini.
- Then boot the Mini (with the new/empty HD) from an external HD with the "cloned" HD on it.
- Then "clone" the contents of the external HD back to the Mini's new HD.

Easy & done!:)

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum. Not a 'Switcher Hangout" topic.

Did a "back up now" in TM to make sure everything was backed up.
Shut down and replaced hdd.
Booted with SL DVD.
Went to utilities and ran disk utility.
Formatted hdd.
Ran /utilities/restore from backup and picked the latest one.
It worked great and was bootable, reinstalling the OS was not necessary. It is faster to clone, but it can be done without a cloner.

It does have to re index the drive and re download emails. Things that have a database seem to have to rebuild. :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you are back up and running. That's exactly how Time Machine is supposed to behave if you have allowed it to copy the System files. The Time Machine backup itself is not directly bootable but once the restoration is complete the resulting drive is bootable.

The only way I can think of to do a restoration without booting from something like a DVD, clone. or recovery partition would be to install a base OS onto the Time Machine drive,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.