iMac screen partially gray

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My iMac 5,1 is has about 6 inches of the right side screen (top to bottom) that turned black yesterday. Today that section is divided into 2 parts each about 3 inches wide, one is solid and the other pin striped.

I can use the computer like normal by using the left side, the page display is normal size so I either slide it back and forth or minimize to read the page.

It's very time consuming for me to haul it all the way to a Mac store so I'm hoping
somebody can give me an idea of what might be wrong, and if it's an inexpensive fix.
(if it's over $100 or so, I'd rather put money to a new computer, as this one is about 5 yrs
old).

Thanks.
labarre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sadly there is no quick, cheap fix for failed graphics of your six year old iMac. The chip is part of the logic board, and this would require replacement. Putting the money towards a new computer is the best plan.

OP
L
Reaction score
harryb,

Thanks so much for your welcome and your input; I've had a lot of extra expenses lately, and didn't want to waste a dime
in case the computer needs replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.