Sound & Video won't play in Safe Mode

Reaction score
I've been having some issues with my net dropping and videos buffering all the time, so the company asked me to boot up in safe mode and see if the problems persisted.

I've never needed to boot up in safe mode before, but once I did it became apparent that no audio or video would work. Whether it be streaming videos online, watching videos on a media player or listening to music on iTunes, absolutely nothing worked. It also appeared that ads did not work, any ads on web pages flickered erratically.

If I don't find out what is wrong i'm never going to get my net sorted, because the company need me to reproduce the issues in safe mode, which I can't do without working video.

I put this in the ML forum because i've been having issues with sound stuttering and crackling since installing it, and something tells me it's too big a coincidence that I happen to have a sound/video issue in safe mode also.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Audio is not going to work and neither are pretty much any video in Safe Mode. There are no audio drivers and only minimal video drivers loaded while in Safe Mode.

If whomever told you that knows anything about Safe Mode, they already knew that. Called "passing the buck".

About the only thing the ISP can do is verify you're getting the bandwidth you're paying for.
If the connection is dropping out and you are hardwired to their modem, then likely the issue is theirs.
But if you're dropping only from a specific site or two, the issue could be at the server of the site you're streaming from.

OP
LouFace
Reaction score
Audio is not going to work and neither are pretty much any video in Safe Mode. There are no audio drivers and only minimal video drivers loaded while in Safe Mode.

If whomever told you that knows anything about Safe Mode, they already knew that. Called "passing the buck".

About the only thing the ISP can do is verify you're getting the bandwidth you're paying for.
If the connection is dropping out and you are hardwired to their modem, then likely the issue is theirs.
But if you're dropping only from a specific site or two, the issue could be at the server of the site you're streaming from.

They are saying that video works in safe mode with networking. Doing some quick research i've found that Macs don't have a separate safe mode and safe mode with networking, they just have the networking. So if it does in fact work in networking, it would have worked right?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Some video will work in safe mode otherwise you would not be able to see the monitor, As has been mentioned not all video functions will work. Without knowing all the programs that you tried I can't be sure but I bet they were depending upon functions in Quartz Extreme. That's one of the many things disabled in Safe Boot Mode Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.