Game making software

Reaction score
Hi all
I am a teacher and several years ago I designed an educational board game which has since proved hughly popular with pupils and other staff. I now want to take it to the next level and turn it into a computer game. However, I am no programmer so I need a simple way to do this! I downloaded Game Salad to see if I could use this, but I am not sure that it is the right sort of software. I need to create a board with differnet squares - diffferent colour squares will link to a database of different question types and activities. Could anyone please offer any advice on software that might help for this or where I might start? I am really quite eager to do this but wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew!
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Things like Game Salad and so on can try to help, but nothing can really take the place of learning to code. Were you hoping to do this for OS X or iOS?

OP
K
Reaction score
Things like Game Salad and so on can try to help, but nothing can really take the place of learning to code. Were you hoping to do this for OS X or iOS?

Mainly OS X. If I decided to branch out, that would be a later thing, but my focus for now is OS X.

I had a feeling that the recommendation might be to learn to code which I think I would probably be hugely out of my depth with. I had a little tinker years ago with Basic (when it was all stil DOS) and with VBA later on, but what I did was very simplistic stuff, nothing along the lines of what I want to do now. I don't think I have the 'coding brain'!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Unfortunately even the most powerful framework is just that, a framework. Unless the handful of templates do everything you want, and they seldom do, you have to write some code. Doing it entirely in Cocoa and Obj-C takes a lot of know how, but some frameworks can ease that a bit.

There are many freelance programmers out there, and if this is for educational purposes, they might do it at a decent rate if you aren't yourself trying to make money off it. So you might want to explore that option..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.