recall of seagate hard drives

Reaction score
Got the email notification yesterday of iMac seagate 1T hard drive replacement and have questions.

1. do not have original installation disc as per their instructs. Can that be worked around.

2. They list alternatives for warranty work, appt. at genius bar, authorized service provider, any opinion on which would be the best.

3. Will I be able to take in my time machine back up and they will reload everything back on after replacement?

very anxious about this, not knowledgable enough to reload myself. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

JJ

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of OS X do you have on your iMac? If it's Lion or Mountain Lion, then you won't have an installation disk.

Before taking your iMac in, make a complete backup via Time Machine and I also recommend making a clone of your hard drive. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make the clone. Both of those applications will create a bootable clone of your hard drive.

If there is an Apple Store near by, use them. (Genius bar appointment) Otherwise take it to an authorized Apple service center.

OP
J
Reaction score
So I should take both the clone and Time machine back-up in for them to reinstall all data, right?
As per your suggestion, I have appt at genius bar.

Thanks for the help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So I should take both the clone and Time machine back-up in for them to reinstall all data, right?
As per your suggestion, I have appt at genius bar.

Thanks for the help

They should only need one backup - either a clone or the Time Machine backup. I believe chscag made the recommendation of making both types just to be doubly safe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.