Any opinions on Crucial RAM?

J

joeybells76

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of loading my G5 quad with Crucial RAM.
Sooooo much cheaper than Apple.
Any opinions?? Is it reliable?

Also, am I still covered by warantee/AppleCare if I install RAM myself?

ps. I use my Mac for Logic Pro :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Crucial is a good company. I have friends who use crucial ram in their systems. there are cheaper options out there that work just as well as crucial though.

Reaction score
jaster said:
Crucial is a good company. I have friends who use crucial ram in their systems. there are cheaper options out there that work just as well as crucial though.

We have five PCs (four of them notebooks) and one Mac. The Windows/Linux PCs all have memory upgrades from Crucial. We've always ordered a minimal amount of memory from Dell or HP and added the memory from Crucial. Note that Crucial is a division of Micron which is one of the three largest memory makers in the world (the others are Hynix and Infineon I think).

I bought the memory with our PowerMac as it is our first current-generation Mac. I had a Mac-Plus a long time ago and our company had one of the first Lisa machines an even longer time ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Crucial or Corsair is the way to go!

OP
J

jn4jenny

The RAM that Apple sells IS Crucial RAM, just marked up even further. But despite the markup that exists even when you order direct, I like Crucial RAM a lot--I've heard that lots of people have also had success with Kingston RAM, but I figure if Apple is putting Crucial RAM in their machines, that's what I'm going to put in my Powerbook as well.

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that a guy at work put 4 GB of Crucial Ram in his PowerMac. I don't think that he's had any problems with it. He's another regular Crucial customer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Got 2.5 GB of crucial in mine, and no problems either.

Reaction score
Crucial is very good ram and will work fine in the mac. However, you can use Corsair Value Select in your mac also which in my personal opinion is just as good and quite a bit cheaper. Have been using Corsair for years in my pc's and also in my Mac's with no problems at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
Samsung i think is apples brand, i'm using cheap ram from macsales.com amnd it's been fine and it's reallly reallly cheap, ram in my opinon is the same, lasting power is the only diffrence but most ram is lifetime gaurenteed anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
im using some generic brand in my ibook (the cheapest at best buy) and it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Apple uses whatever they get cheapest. I had hynix in my Mini which I upgraded with a stick from crucial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I use Crucial in a lot of my machines. Sometimes they are cheaper, sometimes not. They are a very reliable brand; afaik, Dell sells most or all of their machines with Crucial under the name "Micron". Plus they have a lifetime warranty and returns are easy. Just make sure to run a memory scan. On my PCs, I like to use memtest86+ and let it run overnight. If it can do 6 passes with no errors, I call it good. I haven't tried any memory-testing apps for OS X yet, but here are links to two of them:

http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/

http://www.memtestosx.org/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.