UPS question

Reaction score
I used to have a desktop PC that I used with an APC UPS. When I got a MBP, which I usually use as a desktop with a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse, I continued to use the UPS even though the software for the system was not Mac compatible. I plugged the Mac power supple, the monitor, external HD back up, and a lamp into the UPS and a several other things--speakers, USB hub, etc, into the surge protect only side. A couple of times when the power went out, the system powered up and I shut things down properly. Now the UPS has died. If I replace it, it will be with a new unit. My question--do I really need to replace it at about $70? The MBP will switch to internal power on its own, so the only critical item is the HD back up on which I run Time Machine and CCC, and which would go down with a lurch. Is that really likely to cause a problem. Looking for some advice. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
$70 is cheap insurance IMO. Going down hard is bad on hard disks, it also can be bad on other components. The UPS died? Or did the batteries? I have more APC UPS' I've gotten for free.. because all they needed we batteries...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem with APC UPS units is their initial purchase expense does not equate to the expense of replacing the battery when it dies. I finally found a local merchant here in the Dallas area that sells replacement batteries at a decent price. Otherwise it's probably more economical to buy a new UPS unit rather than replace the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The problem with APC UPS units is their initial purchase expense does not equate to the expense of replacing the battery when it dies. I finally found a local merchant here in the Dallas area that sells replacement batteries at a decent price. Otherwise it's probably more economical to buy a new UPS unit rather than replace the battery.

Yea, I never buy a 'name brand' lead acid cell. Then again, none of the ones I have are small UPS' either.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far. When I couldn't figure out what the warning light was trying to tell me, I call APC support. With their help I tried reconnecting the battery--no change, and then checked the voltage on both the battery and the UPS unit itself with a volt meter. Both barely moved the needle, and the person on the line said that meant a new battery might not solve the problem. The unitt is almost six years old, so it may just be at end of life span.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.