how do i use airplay from my mac on wifi, and my sony bravia tv on ethernet(sameNetwr

Reaction score
I want to stream from my mac air to my sony bravia tv. so i plugged in the tv to my ethernet cable from the router, and the connectin works, im able to go on youtube etc... from my tv. then i turn wifi on my mac air, on and both the tv and the mac are on the same internet network or whatever, but airplay wont turn on.

please help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need an airplay compatible device - your Sony TV is not airplay compatible - I don't believe any TV is compatible at this time.

I would suggest you still open up the owner's manual for your TV to see what it's capabilities are for viewing media on the local network.
There is a big variance from TV to TV in this regard.

You will need an AppleTV for Airplay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
I have a new Sony Bravia TV and it works very well with the Apple TV including AirPlay.

DavidH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.