Flashing folder

Reaction score
I installed a new hard drive on my 27 inch imac. The new hard drive was the exact same make and model as the original. When I try to boot from the installation cd, I can click the arrow to start the installation and then it freezes and never goes beyond that point. Can anyone help me, please?

I inserted the cd into a different computer, got some info from it and when I inserted into the original computer while holding down the "D" it says that Apple Hardware test does not support this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you using an installation CD from another mac?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I installed a new hard drive on my 27 inch imac. The new hard drive was the exact same make and model as the original. When I try to boot from the installation cd, I can click the arrow to start the installation and then it freezes and never goes beyond that point. Can anyone help me, please?

I inserted the cd into a different computer, got some info from it and when I inserted into the original computer while holding down the "D" it says that Apple Hardware test does not support this machine.

Two possible problems here:

1. Did you format the new HD for use with a Macintosh computer?
2. What model 27" iMac is this?

If it is a newer model iMac (newer than 2009)…replacing the HD is not a simple as you might think.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I didn't format the HD before installing....thought I could do that from the installation CD.
I purchased the machine in December of 2010.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased the machine in December of 2010.

Was this brand new model iMac at the time?

Folks buy used iMacs all the time…so knowing that this computer was purchased December, 2010 is unclear.

If it was a new computer model at the time…like I mentioned…installing a new HD is not as easy as it would have been in older model iMac's.

Apple made things more complicated. The HD on newer model iMac's has a special cable with one extra plug for a thermo-sensor. If the new HD is not the correct type (with an extra fitting for the extra cable plug)…then the fan/fans on the iMac will not operate correctly.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry, I did purchase the machine new directly from Apple at the end of 2010. When I swapped out the hard drives there was the thermo-sensor plug present and I attached it. The hard drive I purchased was exactly like the one in the machine.....I did that so that installation would be as simple as possible. I'm not real computer savvy but I figured I was smart enough to follow directions.....obviously I'm not.

10.4 wouldn't be shipping on new machines in 2010 would it? I tried the discs I thought were to my 27 inch on this computer (an older silver iMac hand me down the kids use) and the hardware test worked. Seems that I have the discs for every mac I've ever owned EXCEPT for the 27 inch. No idea what to do now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I did purchase the machine new directly from Apple at the end of 2010.

No problems. It's just good to be 100% that we were talking about a brand new 2010 model (when you bought it)…rather than a "new to you" used model bought in 2010.

When I swapped out the hard drives there was the thermo-sensor plug present and I attached it. The hard drive I purchased was exactly like the one in the machine.....I did that so that installation would be as simple as possible. I'm not real computer savvy but I figured I was smart enough to follow directions.....obviously I'm not.

Great to hear this.:) Many folks aren't aware of this added complexity with the hard drive in newer iMac models. Getting an exact HD replacement makes it easy.:)

10.4 wouldn't be shipping on new machines in 2010 would it? I tried the discs I thought were to my 27 inch on this computer (an older silver iMac hand me down the kids use) and the hardware test worked. Seems that I have the discs for every mac I've ever owned EXCEPT for the 27 inch. No idea what to do now.

Nope…no OS 10.4 for a 2010 iMac. A 2010 iMac would have shipped with 10.6. You either need to find your 27" iMac's original disks…or call Apple (corporate offices…not an Apple Store)…to get a 10.6 install disk. 10.6 install disks are no longer sold (online or at the Apple Stores)…so you have to call Apple. So it would REALLY benefit you to find those 27" iMac disks.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate how quick people were willing to jump in and help. I will definitely give Apple a call for the discs as soon as possible. Again, I can't thank you enough for all the help I was given.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate how quick people were willing to jump in and help. I will definitely give Apple a call for the discs as soon as possible. Again, I can't thank you enough for all the help I was given.

You're more than welcome…it's what we do! I'm glad we were able to figure things out!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.