• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Won't Launch

Reaction score
Greetings all, and thanks for this forum.

Of course I have a problem. Your advice is most appreciated.

I can't get iMovie to launch anymore. I click the icon in the Dock, the iMovie icon bounces once, and then nothing, the program never launches.

iMovie used to work just fine, and then one day it stopped launching. I'm guessing maybe a preference file is corrupted or something like that?

All other apps working ok.

I'm using OSX 10.4.11 on a PPC G5.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice!

Phil

Reaction score
Well, isn't this just the most perfect 1st post I have ever laid my eyes on :)
But I will cut to the chase... in Finder, you could try to navigate to the file named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist" in your User (Home) folder Library/Preferences.
Drag this file to the Trash. When next opened iMovie will create a fresh file with the default settings.

Let's hope this will cause iMovie to 'reset' and open.

SM

OP
P
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply Sur3Mac!

Well, isn't this just the most perfect 1st post I have ever laid my eyes on :)

I promise my next first post on the forum will share my vast knowledge of iMovie. I will demonstrate important advanced procedures, like how to spell iMovie, using the special lower case "i". Stay tuned for this tutorial! :)

But I will cut to the chase... in Finder, you could try to navigate to the file named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist" in your User (Home) folder Library/Preferences. Drag this file to the Trash. When next opened iMovie will create a fresh file with the default settings.

Yes, this does seem like the logical place to start, I just couldn't quite remember how to do it. Thank you.

Sadly, my iMovie finds this repair inadequate, and rudely demands additional debugging.

I do see that when I tried to launch iMovie after dumping the prefs file, iMovie didn't recreate a new prefs file. So apparently iMovie doesn't get that far in it's launch sequence. (I've restored the prefs file manually).

I tried to launch iMovie from the backup drive, and got the message "You can not open the app iMovie, because it may be damaged or incomplete." I don't see this error message when trying to launch iMovie from startup drive. Not sure if this is useful info...

Hmm... Thanks for any additional suggestions you may be able to share!

Reaction score
Hi Phil,

I am having the same problem (10.4.11 Powerbook bounces once and won't launch iMovie). Did you ever find a solution?

Thank you!
Jenny

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.