MacBook Pro powers off while Windows 7 is running in BootCamp

Reaction score
I have been dealing with this problem well over a month now and have not been able to resolve my problem. I am running Windows 7 with BootCamp 3.3 on my MacBook Pro. Here is my Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f3
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 3CEC84BB-3C17-5B04-85BC-6280022CBAE6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I even added 2 GB of memory to my original 2 GB system and this did not help. When I am running a application or Windows 7 is just setting idle my MacBook Pro will just turn off and I have to use the power button to start windows again with a new boot. All the documentation I have read clearly states my hardware configuration will support Windows 7. Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Neal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go into your Windows 7 settings and turn off the option for the machine to reboot on errors. I'm not on Windows 7 nor do I have it installed here on this machine so I can't direct you to the correct place where that setting is but I assure it's there.

What seems to be happening is that there is an error occurring in Windows 7 and the option to reboot on errors has not been turned off, so the machine reboots. You need to turn that off so you can determine what the error is to fix it.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have disabled the option to reboot on errors. I will wait for Windows 7 to shutdown my MacBook Pro again. When this occurs where will I go to see what the error is?

Thanks for your help..

Neal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Depends on what the error is. If it's fatal, you'll get the famous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). Regardless, it should show up in your error logs. Make sure you have all the Windows 7 optional admin tools listed in your Startup Menu. The error logs will be listed there.

OP
B
Reaction score
What is odd about this crash from the normal Windows Blue Screen crash is there is no blue screen. When the crash orrurs The screen goes blank. No power and then the system shouts down as well. Keyboard lights turn off and I have to puch the power butten to get the system to restart. Sometimes it will bootup and sometimes it will just shut down again. Some times I get a black screen and the system is not able to bootup and I am asked if I want to go to system recovery where it looks like it is restoring to the last restore point. I will let you know what happens next.

Thanks

Neal

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does it ever do this under OSX at all?

OP
B
Reaction score
I hardley ever do anything under OSX so I can't say for sure. I will try leaving the system running under OSX and see if any shutdowns occur.

Thanks

Neal

OP
B
Reaction score
Windows 7 just crashed when I started up a new program. I have been watching the performance monitor just after Windows 7 boots and noticed a lot of activity going on. It seems if I wait a few minutes and let off the startup activity complete it does not crash as often. Now that I have a fresh crash can you tell me how to get the diagnostic info that will tell us why the crash occured.

Thanks again for you help

Neal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does your error logs say? Remember, you need to access the admin tools in order to read the error logs. Sorry, but I don't remember which error log will give you the info you need. Check the system error log first.

I haven't used Windows 7 for some time so perhaps someone else who is more familiar with it can jump in here with a better answer.

OP
B
Reaction score
I looked at the event log viewer and say a error that was referring to Adobe Actobat 9,0 Professional. I removed this program from my computer and then reloaded Windows 7 was was successfl in applying all the updates that needed to be done. I have been running my Windoes 7 system for 2 day's now and have not experienced a shutdown like I was having before I removed Acrobat 9.0 Pro. This may be the culpert. Only time will tell. i will start to ues my sysem as I normally would and see if I have any problems. I want to thank you for helping me to be able to look at the event log that led showed an error associated with Adobe Acrobat 9.0. If I do not have any problems with this then I will focus my attention on Acrobat and see if there are any issues with release 9.0 and Windows 7 since I need this program to perform certain actions for me.

Thanks again to the Mac Forums...

Neal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Have fun and visit often. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
This issue was resolved by replacing my power cord. I had a bad connection to my computer so it would not be getting any power so the batter would run down and the computer would power off. This explains the randomness of the shutdowns.

Thanks to the Mac Forum for all your support..Neal

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.